ATI 4870 -> GTX 460?

If your motherboard is Crossfire then you should get an HD6850, which turns to be $20 more (AR).

perfrel_1920.gif

The GTX460 is 25% faster compared to the HD4870, which is a pretty reasonable upgrade. If you can save up a bit more though, an HD6870 would be a better upgrade (falling somewhere around the GTX470 level).

The question here is do you want to Overclock ? if you do be warned that the cooler on the Evga cards does limit the potential somewhat so dont expect to be getting big OC numbers like those cards with custom coolers are getting reported all over the net, thats not to say its that bad but you will be running at higher temps than other cards would be.
Even so a heafty OC that takes the card up a few performance rungs should be easily within reach and so its a question of do you want to OC to try and match what the 6870 can give you at stock or pay extra for the 6870 and the extra performance that will definatly come with it.
The 6850 is pointless In my opinion as the 460 that cant OC that far has yet to be heard of.

Mactronix :)

Mac the 6850 is only pointless if he had, say, a single-PCIEslot motherboard or so. If it was a crossfire motherboard then it'd be bad for the GTX460; if it was an x58 then he should get whichever one is cheaper.

But simon brings out a great deal; the HD5850 beats the GTX460 better than the 6850 and overclocks just as well. Plus I do see some copper and what looks to be a durable cooler on that Powercolor, so it might work nicely.

Well thats assuming the OP wants to Crossfire and as the OP has said a change is fancied after having issues with ATI cards, which while i agree is nothing to do with ATI and just bad luck is still the call that was made.
As a single card solution the 6850 is pointless and talk of Crossfire is pointless as the OP dosent want another ATI/AMD card/s.

The 5850 is a good deal though.

Mactronix :)

TRENDING THREADS