Using HDTV as a monitor....

Kibbles41

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Not sure where this should go so I'll ask here.

I just hooked up my HDTV to my computer and some older games don't have aspect ratio auto adjust. I was wondering if there was a way to do this.

Some of the resolutions on my 1080p HDTV don't display the whole image in game or at the title screen. I guess I was wondering if there was a way to get this thing to work like my samsung monitor that seems to adjust to every resolution even if it wasn't the right aspect.

I looked up overscan and underscan and such and if someoen could just give me a quick rundown I would appreciate it.

P.S. - I seems on the "wrong" aspect ratio resolutions the refresh rate kicks in b/c its....smoother for the lack of a better word. Don't know why.

This is my system:
Windows 7 32 bit
4gigs 2000Mhz RAM
Nvida eVGA 1gig GTS 250
Monitor - Sony Bravia 32 inch 60htz refresh rate 1080p HDTV

best going into the settings in the TV and there should be a few different aspect ratio settings. Apart from that, it may just be a limitation of the TV. Some games can have certain resolutions forced to them, although it takes some fiddling round in .ini files and such. if you search you should find ways to do this for particular games.

Kibbles41

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I found the sreen adjustments for the TV but they didn't do anything. The wide/zoom thing did, but when I went to the aspect ratio part the screen didn't change. The wide/zoom thing just changed how big the screen was not the aspect ratio.

Some older games just can not scale up or do not support that high of a resolution. For example; the original Starcraft has a max resolution of 640x480 with a 4:3 aspect ratio, even though the monitor may support 1080p with a 16:9 aspect ratio, the game will be displayed in wide screen at 640x480. So, depending on the game and how old it is, the default resolution may be it.