CPU overheating, or is it?

jontyl

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Hey, I have had no problems with the performance of my PC, but recently my CPU fan has been maxing out at 5000+ RPM. I'm sure you can imagine the sound this is creating. I recently downloaded the software 'speedfan' with which I can control the speed of my fan, and I noticed that it says my CPU temp is 65C normally, sometimes reaching 75C. This is far too hot for a CPU as far as I know, but everytime I check CPU temperature in the BIOS it is at a normal 43C or so...

So, basically I'm confused, which is it?? I can understand that the CPU is overheating for whatever reason, causing the fan to spin faster, but why does the bios say its at normal temps?

Also, I wonder if there is a problem with the censors for temperature on this motherboard. Maybe I should use a different motherboard, or upgrade the bios?

Any help is appreciated

jontyl

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Well I downloaded core temp, and I get a 64C, 62C low, 65c high

Any ideas on why my CPU is overheating so much (it is non-OC phenom ii 940 quad core)

jontyl

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Ok, but I have tried that several times. I have bought arctic silver 5 thermal paste, which should be good enough. I applied it well, that can't be the problem

But, beforehand I cleaned the CPU and fan base with methylated spirits. This may be a problem, as I have heard isoproponal (isopropyl alcohol) referred to everywhere for purifying CPU and fan, but since meths is still alcohol I guessed it wouldn't be a problem...

Apart from that the only thing I can think of is to get a new CPU fan... but then again I haven't overclocked so I thought stock fan would be sufficient

I cleaned with alcohol and it's fine. You may have applied the thermal paste badly, perhaps too thickly. Also, your case ventilation will have a big impact on all the temperatures in it. Can you supply all your specs? Case, CPU, GPU, ambient temps, idle and load temps, etc etc.

jontyl

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Useless cheapy case from ebuyer, only one case fan
CPU is Phenom ii x4 940 (non OC)
GPU is 8800GTS 320MB XFX with fan

Idle Temp -> 48C
Load Temp -> 60C

Although my case has bad ventilation, it is open atm but still high temps
Thermal paste applied thinly...
I will try a large household fan outside open PC to see whether its a ventilation issue
Thanks =)

jontyl

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Well, interesting...
In assassin's creed the computer just powered off, which has never happened before, so I guessed my psu was a problem.
So, I took out my 8800gts, and then all of a sudden the cpu fan RPM have drastically fallen?? but the temps pretty much the same.
Ran P95 and it got to 61C (core temp), at which point I turned off the stress test, (since 62 is AMD said max temp)

So, 44C idle now and 61C max (but could be higher).. still too hot for my liking

I am going to get a new PSU anyway now to account for the GPU, but could a new PSU also fix my overheating problems?