Status
Not open for further replies.

BT19

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Hello, I currently have a HP Pavillion a6110n desktop computer with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU. I am looking to upgrade the CPU, and I have done my research; my motherboard cannot support anything better than an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+. At the moment I am not interested in doing a new build.

My questions:

A) Is my current heatsink for the 4400+ (I don't know the specs on it) compatible with the 5600+?

B) Are used processors like those on ebay worthwhile?

Most of the 5600+ CPU's online are used and come without a heatsink. I am finding it very difficult to find a new one at an affordable price. I know I will have to buy the intermediate thermal material/grease separately.

Thank you for your time!

Solution
agreed, you will not notice a difference between the two processors. depending on the stepping of yours, they probably both have the same architecture and cache sizes, with the only difference being clock speed. You could probably overclock your current cpu to almost the same speed as the 5600+.

your cpu is 2200Mhz,
the X5600 is 2800Mhz.

that might seem like a big difference, but with the old architecture it hardly makes a difference.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
agreed, you will not notice a difference between the two processors. depending on the stepping of yours, they probably both have the same architecture and cache sizes, with the only difference being clock speed. You could probably overclock your current cpu to almost the same speed as the 5600+.

your cpu is 2200Mhz,
the X5600 is 2800Mhz.

that might seem like a big difference, but with the old architecture it hardly makes a difference.

Solution

BT19

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I have decided to not follow through with the upgrade. My thought was that since it is rated at 2.8 Ghz, it would be significantly faster. I did not take the architecture into account, nor the option of overclocking. Thank you to both of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.