Netgear WGT624 v3 Static IP Setup

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Guys, I think I messed up. I have DSL with a Netopia 2240N/2241N/2246N modem. About 3 years ago I set up a wireless network with a Netgear WGT624 v3 wireless router. I remember at the time it was a PITA to get everything working. Then about 2 years ago I wanted to play COD:MW online and had to set up a static IP. For some reason at the time I could not figure out how to do it through the router but managed to get it to work if I bypassed the router and connected straight from the modem to my main PC.

Flashforward to yesterday. I decided to try and set up my computers with a static IP through the router again. I must have changed the password for the router because the admin-password combo did not work. So I reset to factory defaults. Now I can't get the thing to connect to the internet. I am not sure where to start anymore. I called the ISP and got the default and alternate DNS servers but they differ from what is set up in the modem. should I switch the settings in the modem to what they gave me or switch the router to what the modem is set at?

Right now I believe I have the modem set with a static IP. Should the modem be set to DHCP and then assign the router a static IP? I guess I am a little confused right now.

Thanks,

-Joe

I’m unfamiliar w/ that particular DSL modem, but assuming it’s only a modem (not a modem+router), as long as you haven’t made changes to the DSL modem, the only thing you should need to do w/ the router is change the WAN connection type to PPPoE (the default is usually DHCP) and provide the username/password. And of course, make sure the modem is still connected to the router, LAN to WAN.

[modem (bridge mode)](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router]

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

That is what I thought as well but when I entered in the settings on the router it went to perform the test and it doesn't connect to the internet. It is just a DSL modem, not a modem/router. I will have to poke around some more with the settings when I get home. I will have to see if I can access the modem settings. I don't remember exactly how to do that. If it matters both PCs I want to connect are running Win7 Pro. Also everything was running fine until I started messing with it.

-Joe

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I just thought of something. I have my ISP login and password set up on the DSL modem. I was also trying to put that info in the router, could that have been messing things up? I didn't try setting the router up without that info. If that is what it is I will feel really stupid.

-Joe

Could be. If so, then you probably only need to use DHCP or static IP on the WAN (whatever the ISP requires).

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

So what do I do to set up my PCs as static? Do I set the modem with a static IP or DHCP and just set the router to Static?

-Joe

I was referring to the WAN on the router. If the DSL modem is itself connecting to the provider w/ PPPoE and supplies the username/password, then presumably the router's WAN type needs to be DHCP (it will get the public IP from the modem). OTOH, if the modem does NOT login to the provider, then the router's WAN type probably needs to be PPPoE and provide the username/password. It's all about the relationship between the modem and the router and which does the authentication. We're not talking about the PCs or other devices that use the router/modem, at all. They should be DHCP.

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Then how do I go about setting them to a static IP? I know how to do it in WIN7 but I thought the router had to be set to static IP's as well?

-Joe

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
OK I am completely pissed now. I cannot get the thing to work. I have internet with the DSL modem plugged directly into the PC. I connect the Netgear router and it does the smart wizard thing. it detects a PPPoE connection and asks for my ISP login and password. I put in the user name and password that is the same as the modem and allow it to dynamically check for an IP and it won't connect to the internet. I am at a loss. I remember when I first set it up it was a huge PITA to get it to work correctly. To add insult to injury I found what I had changed the password on the router to.

If I try to configure manually it doesn't work either. I am feeling like a super moron right now.

I have bridge enabled on the modem so it should be working. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

-Joe

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Something may have been messed up with the router. I ended up buying a new wireless router from newegg for $28 plugged it in and everything worked like a charm and auto detected. Oh well, I have internet throughout the house again.

-Joe