Nikkor AI lenses on D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 4, 2005 11:10:26 PM

This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
any damage caused by an AI lens?
I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
Ivan

More about : nikkor lenses d70

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:10:27 PM

Ivan wrote:
> This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
> will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
> seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
> called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
> lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
> haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
> Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
> cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
> the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
> any damage caused by an AI lens?
> I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
> Ivan

Check out this link, though it might be more detailed than you want:

Nikon F-mount steps
http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/fmountsteps...

If you click the 'F-mount index' link at the bottom of the page, you can
become even more dazzled (dizzied?) with detail.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:53:48 AM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600, "Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>What does the D70 manual say?

There's an online manual at:
http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_UserManual.pdf

On page 183, there's a compatbility chart, showing that
AI, AI-S, Series E, and AI-modified Nikkors can be "used
in Mode M, but camera exposure meter can not be used."

--
Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
February 5, 2005 12:53:49 AM

Very appreciated, thanks. I don't have a D70 yet so of course I couldn't
have looked that up. :o )

> wrote in message >>What does the D70 manual say?
>
> There's an online manual at:
> http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_UserManual.pdf
>
> On page 183, there's a compatbility chart, showing that
> AI, AI-S, Series E, and AI-modified Nikkors can be "used
> in Mode M, but camera exposure meter can not be used."
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:21:19 AM

"Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> writes:

> This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
> will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
> seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
> called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
> lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
> haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
> Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
> cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
> the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
> any damage caused by an AI lens?
> I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)

*Damage*? I've never even heard anybody make that assertion before.

I use AI lenses routinely on a Fuji S2, which is built on the N80
body and hence in this regard is similar to the D100. I've used 24mm
f2, 35mm f2, 50mm f2, 58mm f1.2 NOCT, and 105mm f2.5 AI lenses on my
S2.

All the compatibility charts show AIS lenses working on all cameras
that AI lenses work on. I can't find a definition of the difference,
and neither designation seems to be marked on the lenses.
February 5, 2005 1:22:18 AM

Michael Benveniste <mhb-offer@clearether.com> writes:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600, "Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>What does the D70 manual say?
>
> There's an online manual at:
> http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_UserManual.pdf
>
> On page 183, there's a compatbility chart, showing that
> AI, AI-S, Series E, and AI-modified Nikkors can be "used
> in Mode M, but camera exposure meter can not be used."

Which is the general behavior of non-AF (non-chipped, specifically)
lenses on Nikon digital bodies. It certainly matches what happens
with AI lenses on my Fuji S2.
February 5, 2005 1:29:41 AM

"Mike G." <m.golner@comcast.net> writes:

> Ivan wrote:
>> This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI
>> lenses will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I
>> haven't ever seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at
>> Dpreview said he/she called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now
>> on Ebay someone has an AI lens that he claims he used on his D70. I
>> questioned him about that but haven't received a reply back yet.
>> What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure Nikon will not shout out
>> that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will cut into their
>> sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in the D70
>> manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
>> any damage caused by an AI lens?
>> I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
>> Ivan
> Check out this link, though it might be more detailed than you want:
>
> Nikon F-mount steps
> http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/fmountsteps...
>
> If you click the 'F-mount index' link at the bottom of the page, you
> can become even more dazzled (dizzied?) with detail.

Yikes! That's very detailed. I like people who bother to find all
the information and put it together in one place! So, AI-S followed
AI more quickly than I had guessed it would. (The Nikon System
Handbook says 1982 rather than the 1979 that the URL above gives,
though.) So some or most of my lenses may be AI-S rather than AI.
Some have the orange minimum aperture numerals, some do not.
February 5, 2005 6:31:40 AM

Here's the link to the D70 lens compatibility chart on Nikon's support site:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/e...

AI lenses will work but only provide manual focus and metering.

"Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
> will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
> seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
> called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
> lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
> haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm
> sure Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that
> will cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically
> say in the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee
> cover any damage caused by an AI lens?
> I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
> Ivan

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:28:02 PM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600, Ivan wrote:

> From: "Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
> Subject: Nikkor AI lenses on D70
> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:10:26 -0600
>
> This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
> will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
> seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
> called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
> lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
> haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm sure
> Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
> cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
> the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
> any damage caused by an AI lens?
> I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
> Ivan

I have used several Manual Lenses and one AI Lens with my D-70 without
problem. They have to be used in Manual "M" mode however. The only thing
that I have found is that they tend to be a little tight and require more
force to put it on the camera than the "G" lens that came with it.

Jake
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:55:01 PM

In article <m2lla37i2o.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:

> "Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
> > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals).

> *Damage*? I've never even heard anybody make that assertion before.

Even older *non-Ai* lenses can in fact damage the body. These have an
aperture ring that falls a bit over the bayonet, for which there is no
room with modern bodies. This will/could damage either a non-flip-up Ai
slider (plm. 2 o clock on the bayonet), or the little switch of newer
bodies. (plm 7 o clock on the bayonet). Ai lenses are perfectly safe, as
far as I know.

Lourens
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:02:14 PM

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> Yikes! That's very detailed. I like people who bother to find all
> the information and put it together in one place! So, AI-S followed
> AI more quickly than I had guessed it would. (The Nikon System
> Handbook says 1982 rather than the 1979 that the URL above gives,
> though.) So some or most of my lenses may be AI-S rather than AI.
> Some have the orange minimum aperture numerals, some do not.

As far as I can tell, most of the AI-S lenses prior to about 1981 were
Series E lenses. I don't know if you found this particular link, which
was buried on the site I previously referenced. It might help you
identify which of yours are ...or aren't. It lists each lense with a date.

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/AI-S-type.h...

Interestingly, if I recall correctly, from photo mag lense reviews circa
1980 or 1981 (Modern Photography, long defunct, sadly), the E Series
50mm f/1.8 was better optically than the then current AI 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor. I had just bought a FE body with that Nikkor as the prime
lense, and shortly thereafter, got my son an E Series Body with the E
Series lense. I got the precision and build quality of a metal body
lense, and he got lots of plastic, but he nevertheless aced me out
optically.

There was a general feeling that two things were happening in the lense
design industry about that time. First, there were a lot of new optical
glasses and coatings being developed, and second, computers were coming
more into use for optical design, which allowed designers to look at
many thousands of combinations of elements, glasses, coatings, etc., in
a short time, compared to - oh, I don't really know, but maybe like a
hundred total combos was a lot when pushing slide rules.

Anyway, I hope you are able to identify which versions of your lenses
you have.

Mike
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 12:49:32 AM

"Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
> will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
> seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
> called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
> lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
> haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say?

The manual says you can use them (in "M" mode with no metering) and I've
used my Nikkor 200mm f/4 Micro lots of times with no problems.
Don't use NON-AI lenses, though.

Good shooting,
Bob Scott
February 6, 2005 12:53:30 AM

"Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
> will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals). I haven't ever
> seen this issue truly resolved yet. One poster at Dpreview said he/she
> called Nikon but got no definitive answer. Now on Ebay someone has an AI
> lens that he claims he used on his D70. I questioned him about that but
> haven't received a reply back yet. What does the D70 manual say? I'm
sure
> Nikon will not shout out that AI lenses are acceptable, because that will
> cut into their sales of new lenses. But if they don't specifically say in
> the D70 manual "DO NOT USE AI lenses", then shouldn't the warrantee cover
> any damage caused by an AI lens?
> I'm sorry for rehashing this topic...flame away if you must ;o)
> Ivan
Well, since the only difference in the mount between an AI and AI-S lens is
that the AI-S lenses have a known relationship between the position of the
aperature ring and the aperature diameter and since all AF lenses are also
AI-S lenses, the likelihood of damage to either the camera or then lens is
very very unlikely. I would not consider a non-AI lens because they could
to damage to the camera (as well as film cameras that don't have a flip up
aperature ring contact). Besides many AI and AI-S lenses have been
recomputed...
Jim
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:27:49 AM

Lourens Smak <smak@wanadoo.nl> writes:

> In article <m2lla37i2o.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>
>> "Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > This question has probably been discussed over and over, whether AI lenses
>> > will or will NOT damage the D70 (or other Nikon digitals).
>
>> *Damage*? I've never even heard anybody make that assertion before.
>
> Even older *non-Ai* lenses can in fact damage the body. These have an
> aperture ring that falls a bit over the bayonet, for which there is no
> room with modern bodies. This will/could damage either a non-flip-up Ai
> slider (plm. 2 o clock on the bayonet), or the little switch of newer
> bodies. (plm 7 o clock on the bayonet). Ai lenses are perfectly safe, as
> far as I know.

Yes, exactly. AI lenses are safe. I've never previously heard any
suggestion that they weren't, and you don't seem to have either.