Sign in with
Your question

980x + Rampage III Extreme = BSOD....Why?

Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2011 3:15:00 PM

My system’s specs…

Intel I7 980x @ 3.33GHz
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Corsair HX1000W Power Supply
6 Gigs Muskin Redline
EVGA GTX 480
Sound Blaster X-Fi
Intel x25-m 80gig SSD
1.5TB SATA 3.0GB/s HD
Windows 7 64-Bit

I built this system one year ago and upon the build everything worked great. After about six months, I noticed my computer would crash every other week or so. These crashes always happened when my computer was idle. As time went on the crashes became more frequent. It is now at the point where it crashes every 20 minutes!

I have swapped out every piece of hardware, except for the power supply and CPU, and the problem still exist. Even performed a clean install of Windows.

The odd thing is I can get the system to run stable by overclocking it!! What does that mean?? Does this point to a faulty power supply or faulty CPU?

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 9:03:12 PM

no, considering you havent changed the psu i think the psu should be the most main culprit.Could you try to change the psu?
I think you its not stable as you commented.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 9:59:07 PM

Have you checked out your computer management - Windows logs - Sytem folder to see if you can spot some errors at the time of the crash? Also look in the setup as well as the Application log. Let us know if you see the errors show up.
m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2011 5:40:12 AM

I checked the log files and it doesn't show anything specific. It only shows the obvious- my computer unexpectedly shut down.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:41:32 AM

teknic111 said:
I checked the log files and it doesn't show anything specific. It only shows the obvious- my computer unexpectedly shut down.

Hi!
Have you got anyway to test the psu?
m
l
May 26, 2011 5:47:50 AM

Not that I know of. Is there any software out there that can monitor it for abnormalities? If not I'm just going to RMA it, and see if a new one solves the problem.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:57:30 AM

teknic111 said:
Not that I know of. Is there any software out there that can monitor it for abnormalities? If not I'm just going to RMA it, and see if a new one solves the problem.

currently no software is able to diagnose problems with a psu.
m
l
!