Sign in with
Your question

Quieting an old Mac G4 867

Last response: in Components
May 25, 2011 4:56:19 PM

I have an G4 867 dual that will no longer boot. Power is on but no startup sound and a loud fan. Problem started when I hooked a new hard drive to it. I find it difficult to believe that could cause what I now have. Can anyone tell me how to cure it? It had worked fine the past 1.5 years.

More about : quieting mac 867

May 25, 2011 8:44:37 PM

and so did it happen after you installed your new hdd?Or after some time of hdd use then it these symptoms started occuring?
m
l
May 26, 2011 2:39:57 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
and so did it happen after you installed your new hdd?Or after some time of hdd use then it these symptoms started occuring?

I have never heard the startup chime since I connected the new drive. The new drive and current drive are the same thing. Current drive was only 10 months old and failing(under 3 year warranty). Returned new drive for a refund. I will never buy a W.D. drive again, but what happened to the machine. (The failing hard drive booted in 9 on a 500mhz G4) Info saved, but 867 is loud and doesn't boot. Tried new memory, disconnecting and re-connecting everything, new battery also.
m
l
May 26, 2011 2:41:36 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:

I have never heard the startup chime since I connected the new drive. The new drive and current drive are the same thing. Current drive was only 10 months old and failing(under 3 year warranty). Returned new drive for a refund. I will never buy a W.D. drive again, but what happened to the machine. (The failing hard drive booted in 9 on a 500mhz G4) Info saved, but 867 is loud and doesn't boot. Tried new memory, disconnecting and re-connecting everything, new battery also.
m
l
!