Quieting an old Mac G4 867

dcd867

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I have an G4 867 dual that will no longer boot. Power is on but no startup sound and a loud fan. Problem started when I hooked a new hard drive to it. I find it difficult to believe that could cause what I now have. Can anyone tell me how to cure it? It had worked fine the past 1.5 years.

dcd867

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

I have never heard the startup chime since I connected the new drive. The new drive and current drive are the same thing. Current drive was only 10 months old and failing(under 3 year warranty). Returned new drive for a refund. I will never buy a W.D. drive again, but what happened to the machine. (The failing hard drive booted in 9 on a 500mhz G4) Info saved, but 867 is loud and doesn't boot. Tried new memory, disconnecting and re-connecting everything, new battery also.

dcd867

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

I have never heard the startup chime since I connected the new drive. The new drive and current drive are the same thing. Current drive was only 10 months old and failing(under 3 year warranty). Returned new drive for a refund. I will never buy a W.D. drive again, but what happened to the machine. (The failing hard drive booted in 9 on a 500mhz G4) Info saved, but 867 is loud and doesn't boot. Tried new memory, disconnecting and re-connecting everything, new battery also.