Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1200 dollar (CAD) Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 23, 2011 9:44:17 PM

Hello there, I am looking to build a brand new gaming pc because my PC right now is outdated :( 

Parts not needed;OS, Speakers, Mouse & My Intel X25M SSD

System Usage:Gaming, Surfing the Internet, Editing, and General Use

Purchase Date:From next month to Christmas

Prefered Websites;Tigerdirect, Newegg (Canada)

Parts Preferences;Mostly Intel+Nvidia Or AMD+Nvidia

Overclocking;Probably

Monitor Resolution:Any HD resolution monitor that is 22" or 23", preferably 1680x1050 or 1080p
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Here are some parts I've chosen myself:
Intel Core i7 870 2.93Ghz
EVGA P55V Micro SLI Mobo
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB DDR3 1333mhz w/ green LEDs
ASUS ENGTX460 1GB
Thermaltake SpinQ CPU cooler
Thermaltake A2476 HDD Cooler
Logitech G110 Gaming keyboard
NZXT Lexa S Crafted Series Mid Tower case
NZXT Sentry II Fan Controller
WD Caviar Black 1TB
RAZER Goliathus Mousepad
Corsair TX750W PSU
ASUS VW224T monitor
ASUS Black 4x Internal Blu Ray Drive
Samsung Black 22x DVD Burner



More about : 1200 dollar cad gaming

a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2011 9:51:21 PM

Don't buy now. Wait till next month or April for Sandy Bridge. Also with that budget incorporating keyboards and such. Do more research. Don't pick something because it looks cool, pick it because it performs well. The SpinQ is a terrible price/perf cooler. Get the Hyper 212+.

Also for more suggestions, check out my 1000$ build in my siggy. That should work out in the end.

Also if your openended I suggest going Intel+AMD just because the 6850 in CF performs better than SLI 460.
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 9:57:46 PM

well, wait till april when the Sandy bridge Mobo's are back out and do something like this


CPU: Core i5-2500k
Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme 4
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB
GPU: GTX 560 Ti (Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212+
HDD:Samsung Spinpoint


Theres a start, but your planning way too early for something youre not getting until christmas.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 23, 2011 10:02:37 PM

aznshinobi said:
Don't buy now. Wait till next month or April for Sandy Bridge. Also with that budget incorporating keyboards and such. Do more research. Don't pick something because it looks cool, pick it because it performs well. The SpinQ is a terrible price/perf cooler. Get the Hyper 212+.

Also for more suggestions, check out my 1000$ build in my siggy. That should work out in the end.

Also if your openended I suggest going Intel+AMD just because the 6850 in CF performs better than SLI 460.


Thanks for the quick reply and advice, I am actually going towards a Hyper series now when I read the reviews and ratings on the 212, and I agree with your advice on the Sandy Bridge Platform, but won't the new i7 processors and motherboards still be 300$ in April?
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 10:04:22 PM

HeyImGodly said:
well, wait till april when the Sandy bridge Mobo's are back out and do something like this


CPU: Core i5-2500k
Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme 4
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB
GPU: GTX 560 Ti (Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212+
HDD:Samsung Spinpoint


Theres a start, but your planning way too early for something youre not getting until christmas.


I said I could possibly get it for Christmas, but I will be more likely to be in April or Early May, anyway thx for the quick reply
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2011 10:29:07 PM

True but isn't your current i7 280-290$ anyways? Plus the i5 2500K (230$) beats out the i7 950 (290$) and the end-user really only needs a 2500K at most. 2600 would be a plus.

Check out my guide in siggy for more info.
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 10:41:43 PM

Anyway, I updated the specs

CPU:Intel Core i5 2500k unlocked CPU

Mobo:ASUS P8P67 Mobo

RAM:G. Skill Ripjaws X 4GB DDR3 1600mhz

GPU:AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 256bit

Everything else will stay the same, or this is an AMD build

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

Mobo:Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870

Ram:G. Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1333mhz

GPU:MSI Hawk Talon Attack GTX 460

If the P67 mobos are delayed then I will take the AMD build or I will buy the other parts earlier, like in march and the Mobo when it comes out later
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 10:43:35 PM

And i forgot to say this, but I will also be using this PC to watch movies and as a media server
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2011 11:04:22 PM

Yeah, that looks good good to go for the intel build. Something to consider to save money. Go with the Asrock Extreme4 P67. It's basically the same board, cept different brand. The Extreme4 is praised for high OC's up to 5.1ghz w/ BIOS revision. that'll save you like 40$. With those savings, you can get a 6870.

For the AMD build, drop the Hawk for an Asus DirectCu 6850 1GB. In the future you'll be able to CF and that'll be a huge boost in frames. Plus 6850 CF > 460 SLI anyway. Also change that board to a Asrock Extreme3 870
m
0
l
February 23, 2011 11:10:04 PM

aznshinobi said:
Yeah, that looks good good to go for the intel build. Something to consider to save money. Go with the Asrock Extreme4 P67. It's basically the same board, cept different brand. The Extreme4 is praised for high OC's up to 5.1ghz w/ BIOS revision. that'll save you like 40$. With those savings, you can get a 6870.

For the AMD build, drop the Hawk for an Asus DirectCu 6850 1GB. In the future you'll be able to CF and that'll be a huge boost in frames. Plus 6850 CF > 460 SLI anyway. Also change that board to a Asrock Extreme3 870


Thanks for the advice on the motherboards and the graphics card!

:D 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2011 11:28:58 PM

No Problem!
m
0
l
February 24, 2011 2:55:32 AM

PLEASE do not get the SpinQ.

You would be better off with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 instead of the Western Digital hard drive.

Wait for Sandy Bridge.
m
0
l
!