Sign in with
Your question

Flickering

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2010 1:03:19 PM

I have a 2nd monitor connected by VGA.
It flickers when I have the computer plugged in to the mains. I took the battery out but it didn;t help. When I disconnected the mains plug, the flickering went away.
Any ideas how I can fix this?
The plug in the wall is 2 prong but the wall socket should be earthed (European socket).

More about : flickering

a c 226 U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 1:23:20 PM

Verify that the 2nd monitor is configured to use its highest supported refresh rate. What version of Windows are you using?
December 22, 2010 1:26:38 PM

XP, yes the refresh rate can't go higher or the monitor shows an error and says it it not optimal.
Related resources
a c 226 U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 1:30:50 PM

What make/model of GPU? Also, what resolution are your monitors running?
December 22, 2010 1:41:47 PM

It's definitely the plug as when you unplug it it stops so it;s an interference thing surely?
a c 226 U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 1:44:34 PM

You can definitely get interference between devices. Are you using 2 LCDs or 1 LCD and 1 CRT or 2 CRTs?

You can also try using and extension cord (if power related) to move the power connection of one of the monitors to an alternate plug/ground.
December 22, 2010 2:09:55 PM

That did it - plugged it into a separate socket.
Thanks.

What would cause that?
a c 226 U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 2:38:36 PM

It is a matter of electrical interference where one device synchs with the power source at a slightly different level than another device on the same circuit. Hard to explain without getting into the weeds. Monitors/displays are very sensitive to those minor fluctuations.

Glad it worked itself out. Good luck and happy holidays!
!