Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading MOBO to Rampage III Extreme

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2011 1:08:20 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 Weeks ago

Budget Range: $1,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, downloading, watching movies, surfing the internet.

Parts I'm Reusing:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000, PSU: Thermaltake 850W, CPU: Intel i7 920, Memory: 12GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 Ver8.1, GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, HDD's: 1-WD Veloci Raptor 160GB, 2-WD 1TB Caviar Blacks, OD: 2-LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burners

Parts that Went Bad:
MOBO: ASUS Rampage II Extreme (bad BIOS), CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 (fan went bad)

New Parts:
MOBO: Rampage III Extreme, CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, Fans: 5-Cooler Master 120mm 69.69 CFM

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg for online, and Micro Center for local.

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: ASUS, WD, LG, Cooler Master

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: LG W2753V-PF (1920x1080)

Additional Comments/Questions: I Built this system about 1.5-2 years ago, and I've been having trouble with the BIOS acting up on my Rampage II Extreme. I'm only going back with the Cooler Master V8 because I've had such great temp ranges with it along with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound. I'm upgrading to the Rampage III Extreme MOBO and have a few questions before I get started. I had some much more tech savvy friends around when I built this computer 1.5-2 years ago.

1) Can I use my old Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 Ver 8.1 RAM, the manual just says to use TR3X6G1600C9 Ver2.1(XMP)?

2) I'm reusing my C drive (WD Veloci Raptor 160GB). After I backup some of my info from it should I just leave the data on the drive and do a clean install when I'm in the BIOS settings when I boot for the first time?

3) Should I only hook up the C drive and get the computer running before adding my other hard drives? Or just hook them all up ahead of time?

4) Does anyone have an opinion or preference between IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound vs. Antec Formula 7 Nano Diamond Thermal Compound?

5) Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
February 24, 2011 5:33:32 PM

1) The RAM most likely will work.

2) The re-install you may be referring to is for Windows? You would not do that in the BIOS, but use a boot disk. I would just try and see if it comes up as is, but you will probably require a reinstall, and may even have to call Microsoft to obtain the code to install on a new motherboard.

3) Hook up all the drives at once, with your boot drive in the SATA1 slot on the motherboard. You can check the bios to make sure the

4) For thermal paste comparisons, this is one of the most comprehensive: 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test

The winner? MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu

Not sure of the difference between nano diamond compounds (could Antec have just purchased and repackaged Innovative Cooling's product?). I do know that Innovative Cooling has something better than IC Diamond 7, and that is IC Diamond 24.

5) Normally I would recommend a fan controller for 5 case fans, but those that you have picked are only 19 Db, so you should be OK. They look like pretty good fans as far as flow to noise ratio.
m
l
February 24, 2011 8:49:17 PM

eloric,

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post! I'm about to start swapping motherboards and want to make sure I've thought everything through. I don't have my more knowledgeable friends around to help me this time.

Can't wait to see how my CPU temps change with the new thermal paste. I've been using Arctic Silver 5 along with the Cooler Master V8 and getting 32C range temps under low to medium loads!
m
l
!