PC restarts during gaming

shppp

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I originally posted this question yesterday, and the thread was closed, because I thought the problem was fixed:
A couple of months ago I went out and bought a new PC, and moved the motherboard along with the RAM and hard-drive into my older bigger computer case so I could fit my old video card into it. Ever since, my computer randomly restarts in the middle of a game, and sometimes (very seldomly) restarts while browsing the web. While playing Black OPs, the screen will freeze for 2-4 seconds, and the sound will stutter, and it powers down for a few seconds, and restarts. Other times, the picture doesn't freeze, and it just powers down, and starts back up. I checked the temperatures I don't believe that it is overheating. It has probably restarted 50+ times, and probably about 3 of those times I saw an error message stating: CMOS check-sum error. From what I understand that most likely just takes a battery replacement to clear up, however my computer time and calendar settings have not been screwed up. I don't know if these are two separate problems or not. If I left anything out let me know, I am not very computer savvy, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:

Windows 7 64-bit OS
Intel Core i3 CPU 530@2.93GHz
6GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5770
750W Power supply

also, just installed MSI Afterburner, and played about 4 wager matches. MSI showed peak GPU temp at 91°C, and the GPU usage at 99 at one point. I have been running my PC with the side completely off.

------------------------

I have turned my fan up to 100% since then, and have been getting much better numbers around 70°C Max, and in the middle of a game about 5 minutes ago, my computer restarted yet again after thinking the problem with the restarting was the GPU overheating. I hope this is a proper category to post under, sorry if not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

shppp

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Alright, I might just go out and buy all new ram sticks. Sometimes my computer runs for a while (a full day of gaming) without restarting, other times it frequently does it (multiple times per hour). That being said does that eliminate the possibility of the issue being ram related, or make it more possible?

shppp

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I was saying if I can state that ram IS the issue I will. My point was that it will take a long time to eliminate it down to a stick of ram when sometimes I can go a full day or longer without the computer restarting. I will try this though, although I would rather try another solution that might be simpler and less time consuming first. But if this is a possibility I will give it a go.

I don't want to alarm you, but I had a problem where my PC rebooted after exiting games. I ran some tests to stress the CPU (AIDA64, formerly called Everest), and it also rebooted. So my problem was anything that required delivering power to the CPU under stress. After exchanging the power supply, I finally exchanged the motherboard and the problem went away. A defective motherboard was the cause, for me. AIDA64 allowed me to test the RAM and CPU independently, so I quickly figured out it wasn't the RAM.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/AIDA64-v1.50-download-2514.html

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Very cool app. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks :D

I award you with three bouncies:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

shppp

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
That is interesting, and hopefully not the case here :fou: I just booted from the memtest CD I created, and withing 3 minutes of running the memtest, my PC rebooted. So, does this mean it is the ram? Or could it still possible be the PSU or mobo?? I will try the program matto17secs suggested, thanks for all the help.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

It could still be PSU or mobo unfortunately. Until you get a PSU tester or try a new PSU we can't rule that out completely. :cry:

Well, considering it's got a little voltage switch on it, at best it is an older, inefficient design, most likely overrated to some degree. Still, it ought to have no trouble with your system, but obviously something IS wrong, so this could be among the possibilities. If only as a matter of general principle, replacing it with something good yet inexpensive like an Antec Earthwatts (even the 380W model is enough for your build) would not hurt.