Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2010 3:01:35 PM

Hello,

I just bought a GTX 570 and it came in the mail today and I have installed it. I understand that it is going to run hotter than what I am used to, but under load it is @ 79c. I thought that it should be closer to 75c. This is my first time going with nVidia, so I really don't know much. But, from what I have seen, it seems I should be closer to 75c. Anything to worry about?

Thanks,

Will

More about : gtx 570 slighty hot

a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 3:08:00 PM

Well considering my overclocked HD5850 doesn't even go over 55c under load, it seems high, but 79c is not hot at all for a graphics card.
Of course we have no idea what kind of case cooling and airflow you have or even what your ambient room temperature is.
You can use Afterburner utility to raise fan speed if necessary.
m
l
December 22, 2010 3:20:49 PM

I am in an Antec 300 with stock fans. CPU is AMD phenom II x4 955 running at stock speeds with stock cooling. Ambient temp is 72f.

Yep, I use Afterburner and usually map the fan speeds myself.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 3:59:22 PM

You might want to look into adding a side fan on your 300 to blow on the card and mobo.
m
l
December 22, 2010 4:03:29 PM

Thanks! I was thinking about that actually, even replacing all the fans because I got a 100$ promotional gift card from Newegg for ordering a laptop for my sister. But then again, I was considering a new case entirely because I don't really like the Antec 300 too much. Any thoughts?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 4:03:35 PM

Temps are quite high, especially with custom fan profiles- and non oced-
What are your other temps- and ambient temps-
Monitor with hw monitor-
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 4:04:31 PM

Btw got an antec 300 myself gtx 460 never went over 65-
m
l
December 22, 2010 4:23:11 PM

ok, here we go.

each CPU core stays at 39 - 40c

FANPWM0 and 1 aren't running it seems as they are at 0%, but all fans are turning.

Assembly is @ 28c
Air Flow is @ 28c

GTX 570 is idle @ 42c.

Ambient is @ ~ 72 I think.
m
l

Best solution

a c 678 U Graphics card
a c 468 Î Nvidia
December 22, 2010 4:32:14 PM

Your temperature in the mid-70c's is actually really good. Comparing your GTX570 to a 5850 or a 460 is not a valid point of reference. Techreport.com and just about any other review website saw load temperatures for the GTX570 in the low 80's. As long as it stays below 90c, you are fine and do not need to add fans or adjust your GPU fan profile to anything other than Auto.

December 22, 2010 4:44:47 PM

Thanks matt! I knew I had seen that graph, and I was looking for it, but couldn't find it for the life of me.

I love this card. I had used nothing but ATI in the past, and the quality of this card and the lack of noise it produces has made me doubt that I will ever want to go back to ATI!
m
l
a c 678 U Graphics card
a c 468 Î Nvidia
December 22, 2010 4:50:55 PM

willmalcom said:
Thanks matt! I knew I had seen that graph, and I was looking for it, but couldn't find it for the life of me.

I love this card. I had used nothing but ATI in the past, and the quality of this card and the lack of noise it produces has made me doubt that I will ever want to go back to ATI!

I have had my GTX580 for a couple weeks and I Love It! It's great starting up a game and putting everything up to maximum. I play Battlefield Bad Company 2 at 1920x1080 with 32xCSAA and 16xAF. It's is just no problem at all and looks great. As you said, the noise levels are really nice too.

Since this is your first Nvidia card, have you tried any PhysX games? The Mafia 2 demo is a good showcase of PhysX effects. I play Unreal Tournament 3 with hardware PhysX enabled as well.
m
l
December 22, 2010 4:56:55 PM

Nope, I hadn't yet, but I will certainly try Mafia 2, since I have been wanting to anyway.
I also just got BFBC2 on Steam yesterday since it was $6.00, but I mostly bought it for the Vietnam add on. Admittedly the only game I really play are the total war series and also Day of Defeat Source, so I thought it was time to try something new!

Off to download mafia 2 demo! Also, do you like the Antec Sonata? I have the 300, and it is a decent case, but I do want something a tier or 2 above it now. I prefer to have something that doesn't have LED's, and I don't think the Sonata does?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 5:05:15 PM

I wouldn't bother replacing the fans in the Antec 300, they are just fine and it's a nice case. Just an extra on the side would be nice.
m
l
a c 678 U Graphics card
a c 468 Î Nvidia
December 22, 2010 5:06:41 PM

willmalcom said:
Nope, I hadn't yet, but I will certainly try Mafia 2, since I have been wanting to anyway.
I also just got BFBC2 on Steam yesterday since it was $6.00, but I mostly bought it for the Vietnam add on. Admittedly the only game I really play are the total war series and also Day of Defeat Source, so I thought it was time to try something new!

Off to download mafia 2 demo! Also, do you like the Antec Sonata? I have the 300, and it is a decent case, but I do want something a tier or 2 above it now. I prefer to have something that doesn't have LED's, and I don't think the Sonata does?

I like the Sonata, but it is the original version from, like, 10 years ago. It has two simple blue LED lights on the front of the case, nothing too gaudy. Originally, it was marketed as a "quiet" PC case, but with mine being so old, it doesn't seem so quiet any more. It is easy to work with, and a 10.5 inch video card fits pretty easily.

If I were buying a new PC case right now, I would get the Corsair 600T Graphite, which is expensive (~$160), but has really top of the line features.
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1030/pg1/corsair-...
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1320/1/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1412/1/
m
l
December 22, 2010 10:05:33 PM

Best answer selected by willmalcom.
m
l
December 22, 2010 10:49:59 PM

Also, I did go ahead and purchase the Corsair case! so I hope it's rad!
m
l
a c 678 U Graphics card
a c 468 Î Nvidia
December 22, 2010 10:59:23 PM

willmalcom said:
Also, I did go ahead and purchase the Corsair case! so I hope it's rad!

Dude, awesome! Now, I'm getting jealous.
m
l
December 22, 2010 11:04:54 PM

hehehe well it was thanks to your suggestion :) 

I decided to go ahead and get it with the gift card +60$ since it will last for a good while. I plan to either get sandy bridge or bulldozer when they come out, so it will be good for my next build also. I may wait until 2012 for the next architecture, but IDK yet. I know lots of people like the Antec 300, but I was never really happy with it.

Thanks for the help!
m
l
!