Where do you buy your "older" components from?

logun0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hello;

I'm in the market to update my CPU from E6600 to a quad either Q9650 or if possible QX9650 or QX9770. I was in for quite a sticker shock when I looked on newegg at the prices for even the Q9650. $300 for a 5 year old chip?!?!

Am I out to lunch in thinking that's WAY overpriced? Of course I'm stuck because I'm not going for a full upgrade but I was hoping to jump to a quad on the cheap.

the QX have been discontinued and so I thought I could snag some good prices there on used components on ebay, but even the ones I saw there were 300-450.

anyways where do you go to look for the best deals? Any places other than like ebay, newegg?

Ps> I'm in Canada so I can't order from places like Amazon.com :(

Solution
@ jsc - I agree. Have that Q6600 running at 1333fsb which I think puts it at about 3.2ghz

the difference in price between a Q6600 and a Q9xxx series isnt worth the performance difference on an older "dead" socket

I just mentioned the E8XXXX because of how cheap it was on Craigslist compared to Ebay

I am not sure if they have Craigslist in Canada but I think they do.

Would be best to be able to install and boot up the used cpu in your tower

The Q6600 is the best deal for the money in C2Q right now

As long as the OP can overclock it is the best deal

Those high end C2Q 9xxx series were some strong CPUs and still can put up some good benchmark numbers but the prices are obviously ridiculous

The OP is already running a E6600 so if...
Everyone expects prices to drop on obsolescent CPU chip, and they are always surprised when they don't. The problem is that the Q9550 and Q9650 are now replacement chips. There's less demand and no more supply. Don't expect them to drop much.

eBay prices are high because they mimic the retail pricing.

@ jsc - I agree. Have that Q6600 running at 1333fsb which I think puts it at about 3.2ghz

the difference in price between a Q6600 and a Q9xxx series isnt worth the performance difference on an older "dead" socket

I just mentioned the E8XXXX because of how cheap it was on Craigslist compared to Ebay

I am not sure if they have Craigslist in Canada but I think they do.

Would be best to be able to install and boot up the used cpu in your tower

The Q6600 is the best deal for the money in C2Q right now

As long as the OP can overclock it is the best deal

Those high end C2Q 9xxx series were some strong CPUs and still can put up some good benchmark numbers but the prices are obviously ridiculous

The OP is already running a E6600 so if they can find a good deal
on a Qx6800 that would be a nice upgrade if it is cheap

spending too much more than $150 doesnt make sense because
it could be used for 2500k build if they want to stick with Intel

A used or NIB on Craigslist or Toms classified section would be the best way
to keep cheap

there is a "for sale" forum on Toms

Solution

logun0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks for all the input!

I would love to upgrade the mobo and CPU to sandy bridge (that i2600k looks awesome) but the I would need new ram as well as I only have pc5300. I know ram is cheap but it would still be between another 100-200 especially if I wanted to bump up to 6 or 8GB.

I had really hoped that since the 775 was obsolete I could find a lot of people dumping their old systems and get something cheap but I will keep looking for now

Although one more kick in the junk is that I got a new SSD but because the mobo is so old it won't properly pass the shut down command through. So when I go to shut down windows closes fine but the case and fans remain powered on.

Ug

Well there will be a point where the 775s will drop
but by that time they wil be at the level of Socket 478 or 775 Pentium 4
in regards to modern day performance

just keep an eye out on used forums like toms classifieds and craiglist
a used C2Q at a reasonable price (below 150 usd) would be a decent upgrade
but saving up and dealing with what you have now in the long run
will get you that 2600k build