Non stop artifacting in ati tool

hello I have an XFX 6870 it runs fine in hours of gaming even when it is ovreclocked to 980 core and 1150 mem. However when i run ati tool even at stock it artifacts like crazy. Is this a problem or is it just the drivers?? whats going on here any ideas? Im using 10.12 and all the games seems to run fine. MSI kombuster runs fine, and ive played crysis for about 2 hrs striaght with the overclock, any ideas??

Solution
You will get better results with MSI's sister product Afterburner. You could try Riva tunner which is the same engine but a differant set up thats good as well.

ATI Tool and ATI tray tools which is way better by the way have been known to clash with the CCC.
Give Afterburner a go.

Mactronix :)

I dont know why, it is really a piece of crap but I am trying to get my max overclock, and I use that as a baseline before doing further tests, can you reccomend a better test before running furmark or msi kombuster??

You will get better results with MSI's sister product Afterburner. You could try Riva tunner which is the same engine but a differant set up thats good as well.

ATI Tool and ATI tray tools which is way better by the way have been known to clash with the CCC.
Give Afterburner a go.

Solution

ok i have afterburner, So just run afterburner and then when im feeling like I got a good clock run kombuster??

thanks for your help, glad im not looking at rma a couple days before christmas, also not sure if your familiar with the 6870 but the ref versions seems to have a really loud fan at say 50+% would it be outrageous to run the fan at only 40% auto (seems to do well) if temps are under control?? might sound like a dumb question but im just used to having to crank the fan to around 80 to keep temps in line with previous cards so what is your opinion?

As you say as long as the temps are under control then you can set your fan where you want. I dont actually have Afterburner installed at the moment but im fairly sure you can set a fan profile yourself if you want to.
There really is no point in having the fan running any faster than it has to.
Just as a for instance Say you had the fan at 50% and it was a bit noisy and the temps were constant at oh lets say55%. Would i lower the fan down to 40% and run the card at say 63% ? Yes i certainly would.
However i beleive the cards run at about 80 anyway and thats pretty high already. Thats based on a His card and checking around yours is a XFX which seems to cope much better at around 65. If this is correct then i would certainly let it go up to 70-75 if it seems ok and the drop in noise level is worth it.