Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1090T Heat issue

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2011 11:34:16 PM

So I rebuilt my computer about 10 months ago using an AMD x6 1090T on a gigabyte 890XA-UD3.

Over the past few months I feel like its been getting too hot. Temperatures are rising over 70C under small load (league of legends for example).

Honestly though, I dont trust any of the temperature sensors. Some say 65, some say 52, others are saying 80+. So Honestly I have no clue, but my bios alarm keeps sounding and i keep setting it higher and higher. AMD just told me it should not exceed 62C.

I use a Zalman copper heatsink/fan combo with 2 rear 80mm case fans, 1 front and 1 side. The side blows out, the front blows to the back. The cpu fan blows toward the back as well.

It feels HOT at idle, so I am worried. For a while I had the case open and an tower fan blasting it and I would still be spiking high temps.

I dont know what to do at this point. Help!

More about : 1090t heat issue

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 11:39:16 PM

mosst important is bios temps which are available in bios.what are your bios temps?
First of all you should also remember to reapply new thermal paste.
May 25, 2011 11:41:42 PM

In the bios it was saying CPU temp was 52. And I am debating doing a quick reapplication of thermal paste right now.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 11:43:13 PM

ghostoutlaw said:
In the bios it was saying CPU temp was 52. And I am debating doing a quick reapplication of thermal paste right now.

I hope you do reapply new thermal paste.Then see how it goes.
m
l
May 25, 2011 11:44:54 PM

Yes, I will, and I also turned down my voltage (had it at 1.43, not my doing, brought it to 1.25 which is within AMD range, 1.4 was the max, so apparently I was also overclocked)

But lets keep it going, what else could be going wrong here, assuming thermal paste isnt the issue.

Next question, how long is thermal paste good for?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 11:48:56 PM

depends on the brand.Artic silver standards could get you 8years.
Others only 2 years.some 1 year.

And with voltages turned down you could try to execute another load see how it fares.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 11:50:06 PM

Dust itself can cause massive obstruction to airflow.Make sure to clean the cpu fan ,gpu fan etc.
m
l
May 26, 2011 12:00:14 AM

I feel like this has been an issue from when ambient temps were in the 60s to when they are starting to creep to 80 F. I want to be able to run in the summer, this isnt a 8 month machine, I need all 12. And for heat issues like this, i feel like there is something wrong. Reapplying paste now, back shortly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 12:01:49 AM

ghostoutlaw said:
I feel like this has been an issue from when ambient temps were in the 60s to when they are starting to creep to 80 F. I want to be able to run in the summer, this isnt a 8 month machine, I need all 12. And for heat issues like this, i feel like there is something wrong. Reapplying paste now, back shortly.

Hope things go well.
m
l
May 26, 2011 1:14:30 AM

Ok, so, just returned from making many changes.

1) New thermal grease, old stuff seemed OK though.

2) Rearranged some stuff to get another case fan in, the cost to do that was to stack 3 HDDs (non-raid) on top of one another, will alleviate that issue later.

3) Removed a thick, very thick, layer of dust from the inside of the CPU fan. A good SOLID layer of dust from behind the fan (a zalman CPU fan, blows out the back, one fan on the back side blowing, big copper apparatus). Heat issues should go away now.

Ambient temp went down some, but I think those will fix the issue, #3 prolly being the biggest player. From the outside and even upon looking at it on the inside, you cant see that layer of dust cause it is inside the copper. I didnt see it until the fan was completely out of the case and I was able to move it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Cool temps to come!
m
l
May 26, 2011 3:43:11 AM

Best answer selected by ghostoutlaw.
m
l
!