Sign in with
Your question

Which usb device would be more beneficial

Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2012 2:51:19 AM

Hello,I,m new to alot of this,but ecspecially the newer usb gadgets.but I wanted to know,what is the usb wireless adapter"n" used for as opposed to the router"n"I have?,does it feed off of my current "n" router and give me more speed or range,or is it just used to go wireless? I have a 2006 dell laptop with and older adapter built in and 2 gb,just trying to find out what the benefit is if Idecided to buy one,or would a usb flash drive be all I would need,not sure what to do,any comments would be appreciated!!!

More about : usb device beneficial

a c 78 V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 12:51:20 PM

First please do not post your personal info in these forums for your own privacy - remove your email address.

A USB wireless adapter provides the ability to connect a computer to a wireless router with compatible standards, e.g., B, G, N. N is faster and usually has a longer range than B or G. This allows internet and network access to other computers connected to the same router.

A USB flash drive or thumb drive is a storage device for data that attaches to a USB port. This allows you to save data to an external device (the USB flash drive).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 1:19:34 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
as stated in the link, there are several wireless standards, as mentioned in your previous post you have a wireless n router, but a wireless g laptop. Getting a wilreless n adapter will let you recieve 150mbps instead of the max wireless g of 54mbps.
That being said, wireless g is plenty fast if all you have is an internet connection and a single laptop as most internet connections are much slower than 54mbps. But if you have a very fast internet connection (over 50mbps), or a NAS, or share files over many computers on a network, the the wireless n will help speed things up considerably.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 1:22:48 PM

by the way, what is 'built in 2gb' mean? two GB of what? Ram? flash storage? something else entirely? The amount of ram has nothing to do with your wireless connection.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 1:25:36 PM

Unless you're transferring files to say a Desktop off your router the built-in 'G' is more than adequate to use the internet. As with all wireless adapters both distance and interference (passing though objects) greatly reduces the transmission speeds.

Meaning if you're have slow spots now then the benefits might be minimal. If that's the case then I find it best to have (2) access points in a house. If your home doesn't have CAT-5 or CAT-6 then look at a PowerLine solution and connected (1) to the router and (1) to the Access Point.
m
l
January 26, 2012 5:42:38 PM

CaedenV said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
as stated in the link, there are several wireless standards, as mentioned in your previous post you have a wireless n router, but a wireless g laptop. Getting a wilreless n adapter will let you recieve 150mbps instead of the max wireless g of 54mbps.
That being said, wireless g is plenty fast if all you have is an internet connection and a single laptop as most internet connections are much slower than 54mbps. But if you have a very fast internet connection (over 50mbps), or a NAS, or share files over many computers on a network, the the wireless n will help speed things up considerably.

Yea, thanks,you've been very helpful,see if this helps you determine if this adapter will be beneficial to me.I'm new to alot of this,but here are my current speeds on my n router and g laptop:p ing 44ms,download speed 0.99mbps,upload 0.97 mbps.I,m still getting a flash drive as you advised,but can the two of these usb adapters run simuntanlesy??or would you say it woudln't benefit me in terms of speed and memory in any way,and are acceptable speeds for running a laptop for internet,and a couple of wifi devices including wireless printer?Thanks again for helping me out!!!
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 6:17:37 PM

wkg1 said:
...my current speeds on my n router and g laptop:p ing 44ms,download speed 0.99mbps,upload 0.97 mbps.

An n<->n or g<->n won't make a difference with those low speeds unless the Notebook's internal antenna is disconnected as the root cause.

You can 'Bridge' multiple connections together. However, poor reception seems to be the problem.

Q - If you're say 10' from the Router what speeds are you getting?

If they're still slow then it would seem to be either an antenna issue or DHCP problem. On a DHCP you can try to use a Static IP address out side of the Router's DHCP range; Say the Router is 192.168.1.2~192.168.1.100 then use 192.168.1.{101~255}. Further, on a wired Desktop compare the speed. I recommend http://speedtest.net/
m
l
!