How to determine correct CPU upgrade that matches MOBO?

MauF

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hi all.

I have a 5 year old system which, in itself, is still VERY competent (at least for what I do) and fast, but I started wondering if I could upgrade the CPU to a much faster one (currently, a 1.86Ghz Core2Duo E6300) considering that there are new processor models and hopefully, Core2Duos will be somewhat accesible, economically speaking..

I think I read once about pins and sockets, but I would like to have a better understanding of this so I can search for exact matches for my MOBO.

Can you point me to the right direction?

I post a bit of info about my setup.

Thanx in advance.

------------

Processors Information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Codename Conroe
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
CPUID 6.F.6
Extended CPUID 6.F
Core Stepping B2
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1865.0 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 7.0 x 266.4 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1065.7 MHz
Stock frequency 1866 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, VT-x
L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 7.0x
Max VID 1.325 V

Chipset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge Intel P965/G965 rev. C1
Southbridge Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH) rev. B0
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 3072 MBytes

MauF

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Here it is, Ghnader.

Manufacturer: Intel Corp
Mainboard Model DP965LV
Northbridge Intel P965/G965 rev. C1
Southbridge Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH) rev. B0
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2

This is a standard board used by pre-build manufactures like Gateway or Dell, I believe. It would be best to search for your model on the manufactures website and see what the manufacture says the board will support. Besides the socket physically being the same, there are other considerations as well, such as the BIOS revision your board came with, chipset capabilties, and memory types that all must be considered.
If this machine is indeed a Dell, make sure you have the most recent Dell BIOS installed, and then you "should" be able to move up to a E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066)
But as I said, you should refer to the manufactures web site to be sure.

MauF

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
That's corrrect, jitpublisher. I own a Gateway PC. I had read someplace that this particular mobo/cpu combination is a jewel for overclocking, IF your bios allows for it, which is not my case. As far as I remember, Gateway never offered a bios upgrade for my model. Thanks, still. :)

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

could you tell us which pc you have?
Gateway model?

Okiahnus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Is this as far as this segment goes?

I am very much in the same boat with a gateway GM5260 with very similar specifications. "I can produce a computer report if you wish"

I don't know much, but as this motherboard has a p965 chip-set shouldn't support for all core2 cores be native up to 65nm.

I have been trying to get a useful answer from gateway support but there responses seem very automated and miss the point. So far the emails basically outline that they don't want you putting anything in the system that wasn't in there when you bought it, but nothing about any specifications.

What would happen if one were to put in a core2quad and it was unsupported? simply wouldn't load? but you could still put in the original core and boot up just fine?

I really enjoy this computer and for 100 bucks I could probably extend the useful life for at least another 2 years. What do I need to do?

When using Gateway support for this computer and Clicking on Bios I get a link for a bios update:

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2704

This update is dated 07/29/2010, but when I run the application I am told that I am running a newer version of the bios. Apparantley in the read_me this version was actually written on 03/16/07. Also listed in the readme for reasons for update is "Updated Processor Code" is this what is needed in order to tell the bios how to operate more processors? How can I be running a newer version of the bios than that which came from Gateway?

What would happen if you used a bios update for a comparable dell/ intel motherboard for instance.

I apologize for all the questions but Gateway seem incompetent at giving any useful answers.