Asus M5A97 EVO Can't Reset BIOS, even taking out battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunch

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi all!

I've got a new build for my brother:

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO Revision 1.01 BIOS Revision : 0902 (latest as of today)
CPU: AMD Phenom II 960T (stock speed of 3GHz)
RAM: GSkill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB which is on the Asus QVL
PS: Seasonic X760 Gold 760W

After assembly I booted the computer and went into the BIOS to update to the latest BIOS version. That went well, no problem.

Then I rebooted and Enabled the Asus Core Unlocker, I was curious to know if an extra core of two could be used, then rebooted but the screen went blank.

I tried to reset the BIOS several times and even took out the battery and unplugged the power supply overnight but it still will not get into the BIOS.

There are no beeps from the speaker. All the fans are running. Nothing shows on the monitor.

The only light on the motherboard is the big green LED.

I tried pressing the MemOK button and left it blinking a few hours but still cannot post.

Any ideas how to get back into the BIOS?

Thank you!

PS: Is the moral of the story "Don't frack with the settings" ?

Solution
SOLVED !

Luckily I had another AM3 motherboard so I took the CPU out and put the 960T in it to see if it was a CPU issue. Nope, the CPU worked fine.

So I took the Phenom II 955 that was in that system and tried it in my Asus M5A97 and it worked!

I'm guessing the motherboard needed to have the CPU removed to reset the BIOS. Very messy and time consuming but it's working!

plasticslug

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Did you perhaps unplug or forget to plug in one of the two power connectors going into the mobo?

On my last build, I had a solid led light, and could not get into the bios, the fans and everything else was spinning.. I just had forgot the plug in the second plugin from the psu... Sorry im very not very technical

bunch

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Both TPU and EPU were never switched on, but I turned them ON, then OFF, then BIOS reset and still cannot post. I think I'll just return the board, it just can't seem to recover from the failed core unlocking unfortunately.

bunch

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
From what I understand the Asus CPU CPR automatically restores the BIOS to default settings when it detects that the computer did not boot properly but it's not working.

I'm wishing that I had bought one of the Gigabyte boards with the dual BIOS.

bunch

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
SOLVED !

Luckily I had another AM3 motherboard so I took the CPU out and put the 960T in it to see if it was a CPU issue. Nope, the CPU worked fine.

So I took the Phenom II 955 that was in that system and tried it in my Asus M5A97 and it worked!

I'm guessing the motherboard needed to have the CPU removed to reset the BIOS. Very messy and time consuming but it's working!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.