Sign in with
Your question

Any suggestions for a $1200-$1400 CAD computer?

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2011 6:06:47 AM

My laptop seems to be on its last legs after serving me well for almost 4 years (power supply and screen died within a month of each other), so I am looking to buy a new desktop.

Approximate Purchase Date: Possibly buying some components next week, through to late March

Budget Range: $1200-$1400 CAD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet, Music, Video, Computer Graphics, Occasional 3D CAD and Gaming.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Sound Card, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NCIX, Memory Express

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel Processor, open to suggestions otherwise.

Overclocking: Probably

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: >1680x1050

Additional Comments: Would like something quiet. Looking for a reasonably priced monitor with good colour accuracy (probably IPS panel). Monitor must be able to be put in portrait mode. Are there any cheaper IPS monitors with 16:10 aspect ratio?

Components Chosen:

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 460
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8Gb 2x4GB PC3-10066
PSU:OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 3TB SATA3
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2211 22IN
Heatsink: Noctua NH-C12P
Wireless Card: ASUS PCE-N13
DVD: Samsung 24X Black DVD Writer
Motherboard: ??

I'm planning on buying parts as they come on sale for the next few weeks (starting next week) since I am going to have to wait for the fixed motherboards to come in stock anyway. I also don't require a monitor right away, since I have one already that I can use (not too long though, I miss my dual monitor setup).

More about : suggestions 1200 1400 cad computer

February 24, 2011 6:58:45 AM

You should look for a Seasonic-built PSU. Some of the OCZs can be pretty quiet but you'll have less of a gamble with Seasonic.

Antec TP-750, TP-650
Seasonic S12II 620W
XFX Pro 650 or 750

All of those are Seasonic built units at reasonable prices, so keep an eye on them for price.

I see you are not planning to SLI. That Seasonic S12II 620W would be more than enough. The 520W would be fine as well.

Get a nice WD drive like this:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58485&vpn=WD20EURS&manufa...
Then get an SSD boot drive.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53308&vpn=OCZSSD2-2VTXE60...

That's the way I would do it. For the MB, we'll have to wait and see.
February 24, 2011 2:13:07 PM

I actually hadn't considered the SSD route, and at the same price as the single 3TB drive, it would probably be a good idea.
!