Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on choosing from the following

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Gtx
  • Graphics Cards
  • Processors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
February 24, 2011 6:30:32 AM

From which of the following should I choose:
Processor:
Core i3
Phenom II [of similar price]

Graphics Card:
GTX 460
HD5770
[is gtx 460 SLI capable?] what is the cost of it then?

More about : advice choosing

a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 7:09:51 AM

mercuryman24 said:
From which of the following should I choose:
Processor:
Core i3
Phenom II [of similar price]

Depends on the motherboard. What you are really buying is a CPU/motherboard package so you need to consider the total cost.
mercuryman24 said:

Graphics Card:
GTX 460
HD5770
[is gtx 460 SLI capable?] what is the cost of it then?

The GTX (nVidia) is SLI capable. Two of them cost twice as much as one. The 5770 (AMD/ATI) is CrossFire capable - the AMD equivalent of SLI. The two systems are incompatible.

If you are using a single video card, it makes little difference which one you choose for a particular motherboard. Once you decide to use two video cards, things change. Some motherboards can only support SLI. Some motherboards can only support CrossFire. A few boards, generally more expensive, can support either system.

m
0
l
February 24, 2011 7:13:40 AM

jsc said:
Depends on the motherboard. What you are really buying is a CPU/motherboard package so you need to consider the total cost.

The GTX (nVidia) is SLI capable. Two of them cost twice as much as one. The 5770 (AMD/ATI) is CrossFire capable - the AMD equivalent of SLI. The two systems are incompatible.

If you are using a single video card, it makes little difference which one you choose for a particular motherboard. Once you decide to use two video cards, things change. Some motherboards can only support SLI. Some motherboards can only support CrossFire. A few boards, generally more expensive, can support either system.

I know all about the SLI and crossfire. I'm confused on core i3 and phenom ii. We do not buy a processor for a motherboard. We buy motherboard for the processor and graphics card. So, If I choose gtx 460, I would have to go with core i3. But is core i3 better than Phenom ii x4 series?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 24, 2011 7:59:46 AM

Unless your talking the new SB i3-2100, most of the time the Phenom II is going to best the i3-5xx at the same price. The 460s are a bit better than the 5770, especially if you were going to SLI/CF them.
m
0
l
February 24, 2011 8:06:02 AM

wribbs said:
Unless your talking the new SB i3-2100, most of the time the Phenom II is going to best the i3-5xx at the same price. The 460s are a bit better than the 5770, especially if you were going to SLI/CF them.

I'm going for Core i3 540. Phenom II which processor beats Core i3 which is similar in price? [120$]
m
0
l
February 24, 2011 7:15:01 PM

i3+460 1gb not the 768mb
m
0
l
February 24, 2011 11:49:41 PM

ok. my monitor supports upto 1440x900. So is buying the 1gb of 460 a waste? should go with the 768 itself?
m
0
l
February 25, 2011 3:19:14 AM

Your options for AMD around $120 are the Phenom II X4 820 & 840 & 925 and the Phenom II X4 955 BE.
You might also consider some of the Phenom II X2's and unlocking cores or an Athlon X3 which could also unlock a 4th core.

The 460 1GB isn't a waste. The 768MB 460 isn't just less memory, its also slightly slower but it's still a bit above the 5770 in performance.

All of these components are around the same price and performance so buy whatever your comfortable with or find a good deal on.
You could also wait for a month or so and get a SB chip.
m
0
l
February 25, 2011 4:27:11 AM

Phenom II x4 955 BE is better or Core i3 540?
x4 is little more expensive than i3. just 20$ more. But its OK.
m
0
l
February 25, 2011 4:33:58 AM

mercuryman24 said:
Phenom II x4 955 BE is better or Core i3 540?
x4 is little more expensive than i3. just 20$ more. But its OK.


Lol I'm typically the Intel fanboy and would jump and down and point at the I3, but the phenom has a higher clock speed, L3 cache, and more cores, so actually Phenom II x4 wins in this case.

Pick the gtx 460. Hands down the better cost per power choice.
m
0
l
February 25, 2011 6:24:01 AM

cpatel1987 said:
Lol I'm typically the Intel fanboy and would jump and down and point at the I3, but the phenom has a higher clock speed, L3 cache, and more cores, so actually Phenom II x4 wins in this case.

Pick the gtx 460. Hands down the better cost per power choice.

but dude, if I choose nvidia cards on AMD Board. NO SLI. AMD Boards with crossfire are great!! :) 
m
0
l
February 25, 2011 9:35:38 AM

You should consider getting a 6850 instead of the 5770. To me talking about CFX seems odd when you're not buying a card at the 6850's level or higher.
An i3 with SLI 460s isn't a bad option either. You might priceout both systems and see what makes more cents. :na: 
m
0
l
February 25, 2011 12:24:45 PM

wribbs said:
You should consider getting a 6850 instead of the 5770.

6850 takes too much power. an im on a budget.
190$ and 120$ have some difference. :) 
m
0
l
February 25, 2011 4:39:03 PM

Phenom 2 x4 955 + gtx 460 hands down.
Forget crossfire / sli.
One is plenty and when you need an other one you sell yours and grab the new monogpu bomb.
m
0
l
February 26, 2011 3:58:23 AM

mercuryman24 said:
but dude, if I choose nvidia cards on AMD Board. NO SLI. AMD Boards with crossfire are great!! :) 


I honestly don't like the concept of SLI, unless your getting the highest end card and need more power beyond that. So I'm still sticking with that choice. Its totally your call though.
m
0
l
!