Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to upgrade cooler?

Last response: in CPUs
May 26, 2011 3:21:19 AM

Hello,

I was recently rendering a video and my fans were really loud. The temp was at 95C. 60C when idle. After i reapplied thermal paste there were idling at 50C. I have i5 not overclocked. Do i need to upgrade my CPU cooler, will it keep the temp down. I used to render videos with no problem. I let adobe premiere only use 3 cores so the temp was 85C when rendering so that the fans don't spin loud. If i need a cooler which one would be ideal, i have dell inspiron 580.

More about : upgrade cooler

May 26, 2011 4:08:27 AM

vinceel said:
Hello,

I was recently rendering a video and my fans were really loud. The temp was at 95C. 60C when idle. After i reapplied thermal paste there were idling at 50C. I have i5 not overclocked. Do i need to upgrade my CPU cooler, will it keep the temp down. I used to render videos with no problem. I let adobe premiere only use 3 cores so the temp was 85C when rendering so that the fans don't spin loud. If i need a cooler which one would be ideal, i have dell inspiron 580.

Hi there,

Yes those temperatures sound way too high.
I would definitely consider upgrading your cooling.

Personally I have a pretty large cooler in my home PC, so I am NOT going to recommend that, as I suspect your case wouldn't take it, but the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ seems to get a lot of good reviews and is a decent size.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603

if you want to be safe, you should get the specifications for your intended heatsink and then compare it to the dimensions of the motherboard and confirm that the heatsink will fit and that there aren't any clearance issues with other components on the motherboard.

Also if you don't like the CM Hyper 212, I have seen this URL being used as a good reference and I have to agree, it is a nice quick summary of some of the best coolers available:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

....hmmm, I was sure the CM Hyper 212 was on that list, but looks like it's not...apologies, but it is still a decent heatsink, but if you want the best, then probably stick to that URL above.
!