Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4870 NOISE POLLUTION

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2010 5:54:47 PM

I have a HIS ICE-Q 4 / 4870....Its 1GB GDDR5 256-bit....This thing stays a little to hot for my liking while under load also to keep it running while gaming I have to turn the Fan up to say like 75% and this sounds like a jet...at idle its at 55% fanspeed just to maintain a temp of 55C. At 100% activity its hovers around 70-80c and I am at like 85 -100 db :pt1cable:  between 70 - 85% fanspeed...Are all graphics cards this loud while gaming? Which Video card do I buy to remedy this problem? Are all 48XX series cards this loud? Which card in the 58XX series is quietest and coolest?

More about : 4870 noise pollution

Best solution

December 22, 2010 6:12:14 PM

Something is clearly wrong as the IceQ cards are made to be much more quieter. Have you tried taking the card out to clean it? If you're interested in keeping the card then take off the heatsink and reapply some thermal paste.

If you're interested in upgrading then there's some good news. The HD5xxx and 6xxx cards are much more efficient than the 4xxx series. What would be your ideal budget for a new card?
December 22, 2010 9:17:46 PM

I have cleaned it out throughly....I wanted to take it apart but thought better of it...It looks tedious...Also, I have a problem with CCC not starting the fan on the GPU upon starting the machine I have CCC version 10.11
Score
Related resources
December 22, 2010 9:47:38 PM

Well, you might have to disassemble it in order to remedy the situation.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 22, 2010 10:56:56 PM

the 4870s run hot, that part is normal.

The fan not spinning is an issue, seems like the fan has gone bad(not wanting to spin slow). The fan spins even without any software loaded.

My 4870 was actually quiet. hot but quiet.

Does the fan spin easy by hand or is it hard to turn?
Score
December 22, 2010 11:33:22 PM

Still under warranty?
Might wanna return it..
Score
December 22, 2010 11:41:15 PM

Hmm noise pollution is standing in the middle of Dallas or New York during rush hour traffic with a bumper to bumper traffic jam with people often laying on the horn.

Describe the noise that you are having from the card. Is it air flow or bearing noise?
Score
December 23, 2010 4:27:03 AM

nforce4max said:
Hmm noise pollution is standing in the middle of Dallas or New York during rush hour traffic with a bumper to bumper traffic jam with people often laying on the horn.

Any noise which you find irritating can be termed as noise pollution.
Score
December 23, 2010 3:22:33 PM

The Noise is strictly high air flow, no bearing noise...The Fan works great its just loud like a hairdyer on High...The latest CCC driver do not turn the Card fan back on to my set fan speed it goes back to the default speed of 40% which is insufficient to cool this particular card and I have to open CCC and set the fan speed back to my setting of 55%....I know this card runs really hot while gaming and to compensate for this I turn the fan up to 75% and it gets really loud, lately during long gaming session it has been getting really hot making the fan pulsate and the temps are like 85c....So I didnt want to turn this fan up anymore due to the significant increase in noise pollution. I will be replacing this with a 5890 or some other high end card soon suggestions on which card to get are appreciated..... so I will experiment with some MX-3 TP and Port the Fan vent in the back on the 4870 and see if that works on quieting this beast down
Score
December 23, 2010 4:08:25 PM

Best answer selected by lowjack989.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2010 5:26:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!