Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New system running slow

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 24, 2011 9:30:20 AM

I just finished putting my system together, and at first it ran great, fast download, passed a mem test, ran everything fine. But after about 2 hours everything became really slow, I mean really slow. It takes forever to load a webpage and it took about five minutes to paste an image to a word doc.

Any ideas of whats going on?

Asrock 870 extreme 3

phenome ii x4 955

radeon HD 5700

More about : system running slow

February 24, 2011 9:49:01 AM

madtaxi said:
I just finished putting my system together, and at first it ran great, fast download, passed a mem test, ran everything fine. But after about 2 hours everything became really slow, I mean really slow. It takes forever to load a webpage and it took about five minutes to paste an image to a word doc.

Any ideas of whats going on?

Asrock 870 extreme 3

phenome ii x4 955

radeon HD 5700


Hmmm - interesting.

Not really sure what might be the problem there but here are a few things that you might wish to try.

To eliminate whether the hardware is causing the problem - Try downloading and running a live OS such as Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) and running this from CD or DVD. or SLAX which will run entirely from RAM. A virus COULD be causing this. I would've thought that would be unlikely

If that doesn't work maybe check all the simple things like whether the RAM is seated correctly, and swap the SATA ports that the HDD plugs into and hopefully some more ideas will write in soon.

Luke,

P.S. I'm too lazy to insert links, Its 11 at night where I am!
m
0
l
February 24, 2011 10:23:09 AM

Check your hard drive-Sata controller and make sure you are running DMA mode,
not PIO mode.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 24, 2011 2:45:22 PM

Unolocogringo said:
Check your hard drive-Sata controller and make sure you are running DMA mode,
not PIO mode.


Ok, I'm not sure I know what you mean, how exactly do I do that?
m
0
l
February 25, 2011 7:38:13 PM

madtaxi said:
Ok, I'm not sure I know what you mean, how exactly do I do that?

All those options will be in the computer's BIOS options and settings. Log into the BIOS by pressing the hot key during the boot-splash (usually the escape key).

m
0
l
!