Sign in with
Your question

New Egg Broken pin on AMD PhenomIIx4 BE

Last response: in CPUs
May 26, 2011 3:59:44 AM

Placed an order for a new rig on new egg sunday, package arrived today. First thing we noticed when my tech bud who builds my rigs once package was opened was an unsealed AMD PhenomIIx4 955BE, which wasnt a big deal I guess, then what do ya know pull the processor out and there is heat sink on the fan and processor and two bent pins next to a broken pin. The processor was ordered new but arrived well packaged in factory box with a broken seal. This pissed me off but i figured it wasnt a big deal cause i guess mistakes get made.
Then i decide to go ahead and let him throw my old athlonx2 onto the new board because i ordered a whole new setup and have been without a computer for over two weeks now because old board died until what i assumed would be a no brainer replacement from new egg until i read their replacement policy. Anyways after about 4-5 hrs of my buddy trying to figure out why the new setup with the old athlonx2 wouldnt POST he determined the asus board had to be bad also. Simplified full setup down little by little with him doing everything he new possible, because i mean this guy does this stuff for a living. Multimeter read correct voltage at 24 pin and atx plugs so the board was getting power. He determined the board was DOA. Not so worried bout the RMA on that because motherboards are DOA right outta the box all the time.
Where i have an issue is the fact that i ordered a new processor, that came with an open seal and missing what looks like a sticker on the side, that had a broken pin and 2 bent pins before he could even try to connect it to the new MB. Then i start reading RMA section because i have never dealt with new egg and this was my first order through them because i typically order my things through tigerdirect and notice that broken pins or bent pins are considered damaged and non replacable. I have contacted them tonight as soon as i got home through email and will call them tom because they were closed tonight when we tried, but i have a feeling im going to get screwed on this and its pretty crappy if you ask me. I mean i ordered something new and got something preused on the exact same day i received the order yet i cant get a replacement for it. But enough wining i guess im just asking for some advice on what i should or could do to not have to spend another 120 bucks on the same processor just to risk them sending me something broken again and be out like 300 still with no working comp.
Any advice or anyone who possibly has dealt with the same problems have any tips or advice would be awesome. Thanks like i said ive never ordered from new egg previously, my other two builds have been ordered through tigerdirect but new eggs prices destroy them these days so i couldnt resist, but then again ive never had issues like this from tigerdir either. Tigerdirect also actually packages their orders for actual shipping unlike the beat up box i received today, there were two holes in the packaging box and the thing looked like it had been someones lunch seat for a few days, thats more on ups than new egg i guess but the crappy brown package paper is all they use to ship my 800 dollar order is crap. Everything ive ordered through tiger direct has tons of bubble wrap inside the box. But yea thats enough complaing, i think im just pissed cause i know imma get screwed on my processor when i didnt even get to try to use it. Thanks to anyone that has any advice.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 4:06:56 AM

Newegg is normally great with customer service. You have a pretty good chance of RMAing it. Also, you could try to straiten the pins out, and then place the broken pin in it's correct spot on the motherboard and then place in the CPU and see if it works. Here is a video explaining this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA
a c 863 à CPUs
a c 335 À AMD
May 26, 2011 4:07:48 AM

Newegg is known for decent customer service, I do not believe that you have anything to worry about since you received it damaged.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 4:08:50 AM

rolli59 said:
Newegg is known for decent customer service, I do not believe that you have anything to worry about since you received it damaged.

Yup. They should replace it, and if they don't, well, they have lost a customer.
May 26, 2011 4:49:15 AM

Thanks yea im hoping this is how it goes..He didnt wanna try to adjust the pins because he was afraid he would melt the MB because he said hes seen people do it before by messing with bent pins and i also didnt wanna touch it so i wouldnt damage it any. Im going to take his word for it cause he def knows all there is to know about it
Yea if they give me a run around about it ill just return the whole order and take the loss in shipping it all back to them. I mean everything else was correctly sealed i just dont see how they dont notice a processor box that has no factory wrap with a broken seal and a big sticker on the side gone yet everything else was factory wrapped. Not to mention there is heat sink all over the side of the plastic where the processor is supposed to show through the box and it can barely be seen.
But thanks again for the info and i'll post with some info when i hear from them in the morning for others with future similar problems.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:03:48 AM

Try to RMA it before you do anything to it. It might void the warranty.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:12:44 AM

Sounds like you and your Tech buddy are idiots. Those pins dont get bent during shipping. Your story really doesn't add up. I can pertty much bet the motherboard is fine, unless it has the broke pen stuck in the socket somehow.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:14:50 AM

daship said:
Sounds like you and your Tech buddy are idiots. Those pins dont get bent during shipping. Your story really doesn't add up. I can pertty much bet the motherboard is fine, unless it has the broke pen stuck in the socket somehow.

He said it wasn't secured while being shipped, so the pins could be screwed up. Please, don't be a jerk, just help if your going to be here... :pfff: 
May 26, 2011 5:42:15 AM

There is no pin in the MB. He didnt even try to put the new cpu on the MB. The processor i ordered had no wrap on it with a broken seal, you would prolly be upset also. Would probably have to attempt to use the thing to break it. But if you ordered something that came with no factory seal and used heat sink that is supposed to new most might would ask for some info about others ever having these issues. But i guess its always the users fault when they dont get to use it. The post said he used my old athlonx2 which 100% works and there are def no bent or missing pins on it. And i guess MBs are never bad outta the box either. But thanks for the negative info..if i broke it myself or he did i wouldnt be on here asking, i would just order a new one since thats more than likely what ill have todo anyways.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:46:51 AM

Also I have heard that AMD has GREAT customer service, and replaced someone's CPU that they had just lost and said they understand mistakes happen. If Neweeg doesn't take it back, ask AMD.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 7:40:16 AM

I've never had an issue like that with newegg.I've probably bought a half a dozen CPU's from them.Are your sure that you didn't make a mistake and ordered an open box item?
Newegg does sell items that have been returned to them and resell it for a lower price.Some returns are by those duffuses incapable of building PC's sending back a product that they themselves have broke due to incompetence.Not saying your buddy is one rather it could be newegg's fault reselling a returned item as new.
May 26, 2011 8:00:06 AM

Well tbh ive never heard anything bad really about them. He orders from them on a weekly bases and thats exactly what he said also, he was pretty surprised as well. Thats why i figured i would get some thoughts. No i double checked the invoice to be sure that i didnt as soon as he showed me it but it was bought new. Im thinking it jus got misplaced or something somewhere there, who knows though, I doubt its going to matter though honestly. It def is their fault, but their return policy is their return policy and them losing one customer over it wont mean too much i doubt. I understand they gotta protect themselves as well also so they arent just writing off all this stuff all the time for warranty when its not their fault. But when it is it should be fixed, I worked for circuit city for 6 yrs until they closed and we got open packages from the warehouses all the time straight from the trucks so I know the stuff happens. But I'll prollly be the loser in this situation. Thanks for the input JJ.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 12:09:30 PM

Well you should also complain to newegg about how your package was damaged in freight.Also mention the lack of protective material (styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrapping).When I have ordered items from newegg my ordered items always came with that to protect the products inside.I suspect that they may have hired a inexperienced new and/or poor employee who should either be retrained,reprimanded or fired.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:32:10 PM

I always got a bazzilion packing peanuts with my items. Haha, so you should too. But really, if Newegg doesn't talk to AMD, I have heard they are great with there customers.
May 26, 2011 5:44:52 PM

HostileDonut said:
I always got a bazzilion packing peanuts with my items. Haha, so you should too. But really, if Newegg doesn't talk to AMD, I have heard they are great with there customers.

Yea thinkin they cheaped on my order. No packing peanuts or bubble wrap. Figure they could at least put in a somewhat close to the same box instead a huge one half full with everything shaking around in 2 sheets packing paper. We will see how it goes they contacted me back early this morning asking some info about packaging and stuff and gave some info about RMA but I havent heard quite yet whats gonna happen. Thanks yea I will probably contact AMD if I have no luck with new egg. And the MB was def DOA, took it to a shop this morning and they pretty much did everything we had already done reset CMOS and tried to POST with just PSU and my old CPU with a couple different sticks of ram in each slot. They hooked up to different speaker as well and still no post with 24pin and ATX getting correct voltage at board. Then tried different PSU and same issue. No biggy though I know it happens. More concerned about the processor than the MB cause Im thinkin thats where I'll get screwed. Thanks again I'll repost with more info later for future ref.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 6:29:16 PM

ncgolfer21e said:
Yea thinkin they cheaped on my order. No packing peanuts or bubble wrap. Figure they could at least put in a somewhat close to the same box instead a huge one half full with everything shaking around in 2 sheets packing paper. We will see how it goes they contacted me back early this morning asking some info about packaging and stuff and gave some info about RMA but I havent heard quite yet whats gonna happen. Thanks yea I will probably contact AMD if I have no luck with new egg. And the MB was def DOA, took it to a shop this morning and they pretty much did everything we had already done reset CMOS and tried to POST with just PSU and my old CPU with a couple different sticks of ram in each slot. They hooked up to different speaker as well and still no post with 24pin and ATX getting correct voltage at board. Then tried different PSU and same issue. No biggy though I know it happens. More concerned about the processor than the MB cause Im thinkin thats where I'll get screwed. Thanks again I'll repost with more info later for future ref.

No problem! I hope it all goes well! ;) 
!