Cooler Master hyper 212 too warm?

shadowmosesx232

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
So I got done building my first computer but I'm concerned my CPU may be running too warm.

Here is what I have:
Intel i5-2500k at 3.3GHz (not overclocked yet)
ASUS GTX570
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Corsair HX850w
Corsair Vengeance (2X4GB) 1600MHz

Right now I'm looking at the BIOS screens and it says the CPU temperature is at 46C (or 114.8K). Isn't that a little high? Anyone know if there is a problem?

How much thermal compound did you put on? You could have over-done it making it not conduct heat very well.

shadowmosesx232

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

I really don't think I put that much thermal compound on but that has crossed my mind. Is it possible my video card is just big and it's creating that much heat?

BIOS isnt the best place to be checking your temps, the processor wont drop its clocks and voltages to idle levels in BIOS like it does in windows, check using a program like HW monitor, check at idle and under load using prime 95

Your idle temps cant get super low and there is no reason to try to keep them super low as it just results in louder fans, its really only the load temps that matter.

Well, you should only put the size of a grain of rice or the size of a pee. Also, do you have a front intake fan? You may be getting hot air? Besides that, I am not a master with HSF, just throwing in my thoughts.

YAAAAY! I learned something today! I didn't know that! :)

shadowmosesx232

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Hunter what should my load temperatures be? What's a good load temperature and what an average load temperature?

abdussamad

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

He should pee on his CPU? A grain of rice is much smaller than a pea.

Also that stuff about intel speedstep not working in the BIOS is just bull. The CPU will downclock while in the BIOS screens.

It depends on which style of CPU. Rice is better for quads.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

He should pee on his CPU? A grain of rice is much smaller than a pea.
It depends on which style of CPU. Rice is better for quads.
*facepalm*

Yeah, Bios is not the best place to check idle temp, though idle temp is never something to worry about. Check load temps with Intel Burn Test or Prime 95.

No, it really does depend on which type of CPU. Why are you face palming?

I see what you are face-palming now! :lol: I didn't even notice that. :pt1cable: :lol:

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Just read the entire post slowly if you haven't caught it yet. :sweat:

P.S. I think Abdus is messing with you.

Edit:
I see what you are face-palming now! :lol: I didn't even notice that. :pt1cable: :lol:
Ah, there we go! :lol:

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'm using an i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz with a Hyper-212 and my idle temperatures are 30-32 deg C. If I put Prime95 on the blend test, it tops out at about 60 deg C. Temperatures obtained from HWMonitor and CoreTemp. I'm running a GTX 560 Ti in an Obsidian 700D case, though...not sure how this will compare to the GTX570 and your case. Your temps do seem a little high.