Life Pod Bug

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

I found a slight bug with life pods when you have the "allow commands"
on for an ally. Your ally can get to the menu for launching life pods,
and set the orders for it to happen, but the event never occurs. I
didn't see this for any other pod types, but I didn't test native or
ore. I submitted this to Tim.

Magik

You mean the possibility to set the order is the bug? Or that it doesn't work? The latter is wanted by a host change in the past.

"Magik" <rickglover@paulhastings.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1115985178.564498.66620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I found a slight bug with life pods when you have the "allow commands"
> on for an ally. Your ally can get to the menu for launching life pods,
> and set the orders for it to happen, but the event never occurs. I
> didn't see this for any other pod types, but I didn't test native or
> ore. I submitted this to Tim.
>
> Magik

Magik writes

>Your ally can get to the menu for launching life pods,
>and set the orders for it to happen

What a fantastic way to backstab an ally! Then next turn, you detonate
the pod. Hope Tim "fixes" that one soon
--
Doc Devious

Oh it does work. I already did this (got many prisoners from any Solarian
allie who has left the game, VERY easy job). But when you don´t get ship or
base data (don´t know witch) you will not see them.

Greetings
Sebastian

"Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> You mean the possibility to set the order is the bug? Or that it doesn't
> work? The latter is wanted by a host change in the past.
>
> "Magik" <rickglover@paulhastings.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> I found a slight bug with life pods when you have the "allow commands"
>> on for an ally. Your ally can get to the menu for launching life pods,
>> and set the orders for it to happen, but the event never occurs. I
>> didn't see this for any other pod types, but I didn't test native or
>> ore. I submitted this to Tim.
>>
>> Magik

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

I've simmed it a few times on the latest host and it doesn't work. I
launched all pods filled with stuff; the base had millions of
megacredites and colonists, but no life pod appeared. The bug is that
launching it didn't work for me. I found this issue in a live game
then tested it in a local game, so I was able to see on the allied
player's game that indeed the pod did not launch.

At first I thought it was an issue with the other player not turning in
his/her turn, but that didn't turn out to be the case. Maybe this only
happens after the player has missed at least 1 turn in the game that
they are in. I'll have to try that combination.

As far as not being able to do this in the game, I think that it is
completely necessary and if you choose poor allies and they backstab
you then it is your own fault, not the game's.

Magik

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

Thanks, but no Sebastian. I'm playing a local game where I can see
both perspectives of the game: the life pod launcher and the life pod
launchee. I'm not subject to the pod scanning limitation. In fact I
wrote that I could see all other pod types ealier, which demonstrates
that I can see the pod.

I'll do some more simulations and see what I can gather.

Magik

There´s a rule that you cannot scan a pod the turn it is launched. As I
already wrote in this threat I did the life pod launing for my allie and I
saw the pods appearing 2 or 3 turn AFTER I gave the orders to launch the
pods. Sure that you don´t get trapped by this rule?

Greetings
Sebastian

> I've simmed it a few times on the latest host and it doesn't work. I
> launched all pods filled with stuff; the base had millions of
> megacredites and colonists, but no life pod appeared. The bug is that
> launching it didn't work for me. I found this issue in a live game
> then tested it in a local game, so I was able to see on the allied
> player's game that indeed the pod did not launch.
>
> At first I thought it was an issue with the other player not turning in
> his/her turn, but that didn't turn out to be the case. Maybe this only
> happens after the player has missed at least 1 turn in the game that
> they are in. I'll have to try that combination.
>
> As far as not being able to do this in the game, I think that it is
> completely necessary and if you choose poor allies and they backstab
> you then it is your own fault, not the game's.
>
> Magik

Magik writes

>As far as not being able to do this in the game, I think that it is
>completely necessary and if you choose poor allies and they backstab
>you then it is your own fault, not the game's.

Did you think I was complaining about this golden opportunity? I am
hoping Tim fixes it so another dimension opens...
--
Doc Devious

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

Well, I've created a few games from scratch and still can't launch any
life pods. Here are my steps:

1. Use Master to create a new game with default settings and 2 races
(any 2).
2. Run Host on the new game.
3. Play a turn as each player, improving Planet technology to level 2
and setting the race settings to turn off "Attack!" and turn on all
other options.
4. Run Host.
5. Play a turn as each player. For each player, launch one of each pod
type (native probably won't be available) from the each other's
base...not the owner's base (making use of "Allow Commands" in Race
screen.). Set the destination as the other's planet.
6. Run Host.
7. View the results and see no Life pod launched from either player.

Magik