Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Netgear
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 11, 2010 8:52:41 PM

Hi All,

I've done some googling and have found it difficult to find the answer to whether I can access a basic ~500Gb NAS device behind a DGN2000 router from the internet.

If people do not have time to give a complete walkthrough some links to suitable resources would be amazing.

The objective here is to create a low cost solution to backing up my photos / documents to my parents home network from my own desktop. I am trying to create off site redundancy should I have an HDD failure or my desktop is stolen.

I would like to use a cheap NAS solution such as a Netgear Stora box, £80 and do some leg work to enable secure access from the internet. http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear-stora-500gb-home-m...

The alternative is to use a Netgear ReadyNAS duo which gives built in web access etc, £170, however this is considerably more expensive. http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear-readynas-duo--1-x-...

For £170 it's tempting to build a full server with an old box we have lying around - thoughts on that would be appreciated also.

Many thanks for comments.

More about : access nas netgear dgn2000 internet

July 12, 2010 3:29:51 PM

You could probably set up port forwarding on the router. Look up SMB networking and see what ports need to be open.

How much time/effort do you plan to put into security? If you can access the NAS, so can anyone else on the internet. One option is to look at internet-based backup. Just a thought to consider. 3rd option is "sneakernet" if it's not time-sensitive, and you'll remember to do it.
July 12, 2010 3:50:45 PM

Port forwarding is the way to go. Otherwise you can set up an old box, run it as an FTP server and you can upload/download your pictures, then have them move it over to the NAS or where ever. Better yet if you can set up an FTP server on your NAS.
Related resources
July 12, 2010 10:59:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to search further into port forwarding.

In terms of security for it I am a complete novice - in fact I still can't really understand how the access from WAN will occur - evidently I can't just put, for example, 192.168.0.1:8080 into my browser when I'm away from the network - there'll be loads of people using that address.
The more expensive of the two NAS boxes I listed above provides some form of web interface - do I need to create my own?

A basic guide is probably what I need here - is there anything out there as a good and comprehensive starting point?

Probably in terms of security my initial thought would be to limit access by MAC address, there should be no more than two machines that would require access from outside, and strong password - again, a starting point for further reading would be great.

Cheers
July 13, 2010 12:57:13 PM

from your parents house, go to whatismyip.com - that will show their PUBLIC IP address. It won't be a 192.... something. It could look like 80.123.45.67. So from your house, you would type in 80.123.45.67:8080. It can change over type, some routers will have features to register with dynamic DNS services - see the documentation for your router.

At the router at your parents house, you forward port 8080 to the NAS (or whatever port it needs - ftp would be 21, etc). You need to have good passwords on there (esp admin - uY774b^@LL would be a good example), log failed attempts, lock out after 3 failed attempts, etc.
July 13, 2010 1:54:12 PM

You have to define the difference between a Public IP address and a Private IP address. All websites are Public IP address based. Internally you use private IPs. Everyone has the private IP address range of 192.168.x.x. by default. It's private, no one else sees it. In order to get to it, you need to know the public IP address.. which is what your WAN port gets when you connect to your router.

When you find your public IP address, you attach the port number onto the end of it to use port fowarding as noted above. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:p ort 100.11.12.13:8080 would be public IP address 100.11.12.13 going to port 8080. On your router you would set up port forwarding, probably for both protocol, UDP and TCP, for port 8080 to forward to your internal IP address of the computer: 192.168.1.x.
July 27, 2010 3:41:37 PM

Hi, thanks for the responses - I've just got back home so a bit more time to play with ideas now.

I was wondering about the potential for using an old desktop + new HDD and RAID card with some sort of linux server / apache distribution on it. If I went down that route the box could also be used to host websites etc.

Are there any thoughts on what OS's might be suitable and the steps I'd need to go through to set it up? (Links to a decent online guide are very welcome!!)

Cheers

Edit: This review of the router we are currently using suggests that VPN tunneling is not avaliable - will this be problematic?
http://www.itpro.co.uk/610110/netgear-dgn2000-802-11n-r...
July 28, 2010 2:10:24 PM

Windows 2k3 will be just as stable as a Linux box these days. Linux will be free unless you have a 2k3 server copy sitting around to use.

Webservers don't do much so an older machine is viable for what your demands will probably be.
!