Sign in with
Your question

New build, yay! but erratic mobo behaviour...

Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2012 6:17:24 AM

Hi, just completed my first m-atx build and have spent 12 hours troubleshooting

Relevant parts are:

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
cpu: i5 2500k
ram: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance
psu: Corsair Gaming Series GS600

1:p ut everything together in case; psu and cpu fan starts for couple of seconds then turns of in a loop. Maybe i had a short?

2: Took out mobo and put it on table, plugged out evertything except one (4gb) ram stick. Bios flashed superfast before showing "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". No chance at hitting any keys.

3: what followed was me trying to boot with every combination of inserted rams, bootable usb's, sata connected hd, usb keyboard etc, tried other rams (still corsair though) to rule out error. But the computer just responded in 5 seemingly random ways.

-1: doesn't turn on at all. (16gb inserted + at random)
-2: turn off shut down loop (always with 16gb ram inserted + random)
-3: psu turns on. cpu fan tries to speed up and succeds the 4. time. AND THEN EITHER:
----4: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" flashes 7-10 times without bios showing up.
----5:bios flashes for a second and you can actually access it if you are fast enough, but this has only happened 2-3 times over almost 150 tries. (never with hd connected though)

Is my gigabyte mobo fried? Cpu? Wrong power supply? I can't find any pattern in these errors. Weird that i can access bios very few times, seems so unstable it almost seems like loose wiring. Can a mobo become unstable like this if it has been shorted. Can a cpu be unstable like this? Just a few ideas.

Thanks in advance!
January 26, 2012 7:04:35 AM

Thanks. Will return to this thread after going trough those steps!
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2012 8:54:26 PM

Reset cmos, installed new battery.

Got through to bios and saved cmos.

Installed windows 7.

Only problem is that the mobo under no circumstances will boot with all four ram's in place. Remove one and you're fine. After looking around it seems like it may be a problem with the motherboard, at least other people have had the same problem (GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 ). Shouldn't that be an error worth getting your money back? Anyway when i am lucky enough to get into bios (seems like i can only access it after i reset cmos) i can see the ram's are only running 1333mhz. Could that be a problem? Only if i turn on Extreme Memory Profile it goes to 1600mhz, still doesn't help though.

My intuition tels me that the boot cycle must be because of a power shortage when installing all 4 ram's at the same time...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 9:02:49 PM

Once again, if you followed all the steps in order you will have stripped the board down to 1 stick of ram, 1 hard drive, 1 video card, etc as the case may be. Get the thing up and running with a minimal setup first, and then worry about 3 or 4 sticks of ram. Otherwise you are just spinning your wheels. If the basic setup does not work, it really does not matter whether 3 or 4 ram sticks work.
m
l
January 26, 2012 9:47:41 PM

true.

Went through all the steps and the problem is two-fold now, have actually been able to access post and bios now with the help of cmos flash "something" :heink:  .

(done with 1 ram stick and 1 hdd connected)

If i reset the cmos: after i boot the screen flashes superfast 7-10 ( which doesn't look pretty ) times before showing the logo screen which enables me to access the bios.

if i don't reset: the mobo flashes superfast many times before it starts to load operating system from default device. No way to access bios.

EDIT: actually it just switches everytime i boot; 1 time shows logo bios properly before trying to boot, next time it flashes the screen with no ability to access bios.

That's the first problem. I don't know if that counts as "doesn't work" though, the error being screen flashes every 2. time you boot.

The ram problem is boot cycle with 4 ram sticks, but i can deal with that next.
m
l
February 17, 2013 2:02:09 PM

Hi. Im from Brazil. I had the same problem.

I tried with 1, 2 or 3 memory sticks. Didn't work
I tried to put a 550w seventeam power supply. The error insists.
I to take off my offboard video. The problem insists.
I did all the steps that Gigabyte told me to do:
Remove such as add-on cards, devices from motherboard, only install CPU, single memory, single HDD, VGA card and power (simple environment), and make sure the components on the motherboard are installed properly, then please take off the on-board battery to leak voltage to clear CMOS data by following the steps below:

1) Turn off power.
2) Remove the power cord from the PSU.
3) Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 5 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)
4) Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.
5) Connect power cord to PSU again and turn on power.
6) Power on your system.
7) If BIOS can POST, please enter the BIOS and load the fail-safe defaults setting.
8) Save changes and reboot the system.

After clearing CMOS and load the fail-safe defaults, please test your system in a simple environment to observe the result. If there's nothing wrong in simple environment, try to install several additional cards into the slot one by one to observe the result again and again.

This worked only for a few hours and the problems restarted again. :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 

I put a new Mobo (B75 from Gigabyte) and the problem was solved.
The Gigabyte support answer to me a lot of time after my issue. And a lost my warranty time. Its a Shame. I think that Gigabyte must refund every buyer of this weak product called Z68MA-D2H-B3 rev. 1.0

---------------------------------------------------
I5-2500k
Z68-D2H-B3 rev. 1.0
16gb RAM (4x4 Kingston Hyper-X)
SSD 256gb OCZ vertex 4
WD 640gb Sata 2
Maxtor 256gb Sata 2
Geforce Zotac 250 GTS 1GB
Win 8 Pro

T
m
l
February 17, 2013 2:02:28 PM

Hi. Im from Brazil. I had the same problem.

I tried with 1, 2 or 3 memory sticks. Didn't work
I tried to put a 550w seventeam power supply. The error insists.
I to take off my offboard video. The problem insists.
I did all the steps that Gigabyte told me to do:
Remove such as add-on cards, devices from motherboard, only install CPU, single memory, single HDD, VGA card and power (simple environment), and make sure the components on the motherboard are installed properly, then please take off the on-board battery to leak voltage to clear CMOS data by following the steps below:

1) Turn off power.
2) Remove the power cord from the PSU.
3) Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 5 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)
4) Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.
5) Connect power cord to PSU again and turn on power.
6) Power on your system.
7) If BIOS can POST, please enter the BIOS and load the fail-safe defaults setting.
8) Save changes and reboot the system.

After clearing CMOS and load the fail-safe defaults, please test your system in a simple environment to observe the result. If there's nothing wrong in simple environment, try to install several additional cards into the slot one by one to observe the result again and again.

This worked only for a few hours and the problems restarted again. :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 

I put a new Mobo (B75 from Gigabyte) and the problem was solved.
The Gigabyte support answer to me a lot of time after my issue. And a lost my warranty time. Its a Shame. I think that Gigabyte must refund every buyer of this weak product called Z68MA-D2H-B3 rev. 1.0

---------------------------------------------------
I5-2500k
Z68-D2H-B3 rev. 1.0
16gb RAM (4x4 Kingston Hyper-X)
SSD 256gb OCZ vertex 4
WD 640gb Sata 2
Maxtor 256gb Sata 2
Geforce Zotac 250 GTS 1GB
Win 8 Pro

T
m
l