Sign in with
Your question

Looking to build a gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2011 11:55:43 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade almost everything in my current PC so I can play the newest games on high settings. At the moment I have a dual core 2.8GhZ processor, 4gb ram, Nvidia 9600GT so looking for a good performance boost over that.

I'm in Australia, so will be buying all the stuff from www.msy.com.au, though if there is something that really would be much better elsewhere which they don't stock I'd be fine with that.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend about $800-950AUD, and have come up with a bit of a list so far. Can some people with better hardware knowledge than me please look over it to optimize? Main part still unsure about is the motherboard. I want to go AMD because it seems muh cheaper for what you get.

Tossing up between Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX DDR3 Motherboard and ASUS M4A89TD-Pro-USB3 890GX DDR3 Motherboard at the moment. The latter is a bit cheaper, both look similar.

Processor, looking at AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 955 3.2Ghz Quad Core at the moment.

Graphics Card, Gigabyte 1GB 6850 PCI-E VGA Card. Powercolour does a 6850 a bit cheaper, again the Gigabyte just seemed a little better.

RAM: Patriot Gamer2 PGD38G1333ELK 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1333 also a bit odd, most kits said they were designed for Intel. I'm lead to believe it doesn't make too much difference though?

Also want a new HDD to be the C drive. Its a bit of a toss up between a slower 2TB (the low power 'green' ones) or a faster 1TB. I do value a large storage capacity, but potentially further down the track I can add an extra HDD if I fill the first.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

More about : build gaming

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2011 12:02:58 PM

What screen resolution do you use for gaming?
February 24, 2011 12:05:33 PM

1680x1050 is the recommended on my monitor, thats what I usually try to use.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2011 1:37:24 PM

I put together a gaming build in a similar price point not long ago so i may have a few things to suggest. Just going to say a few things first. Firstly i think if youre gaming i wouldnt go with AMD, for a gaming rig i think you would get more for your money with Intel. Maybe try something like this:

Intel i5-760 2.8Ghz Quad Core $234
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 2x2Gb $62
ASUS 1GB GTX460 $208
Antec 300 $55
Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus RS-650W $82
Seagate SATA 1TB HDD x2 $118

This comes to $759, leaving just under $200 for a mobo, of which that site has a bad choice of with the 1156 socket. You should be able to get something like an ASUS p7p55 PRO for that much, this is also great for SLI should you want to do so in future (you would definitely need a 750w PSU for this)

Thats a good build for a good price imo and i know this works well with games because its a similar setup to mine, also it should stay nice and cool because the GTX 460's and the Antec 300 are renowned for being nice and cool.

Good luck :) 

February 25, 2011 5:30:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did forget to mention that I will be looking to Crossfire a bit further down the track, not straight away due to budget. Looking around at a few other threads, it looks like the ASRock 870 Extreme3 motherboard will be a better one to go for in that case, right?

Jmsellars, the Ripjaws RAM does indeed look very nice. I might have to go for that. Any particular reason to go intel over AMD? The Intel 2.8Ghz Quad core is significantly more expensive than the 3.2Ghz AMD one on my current list.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2011 10:58:50 AM

It's because 3.2ghz quad core AMD does not equal a 3.2Ghz quad core Intel, generally speaking the Intel is going to be better in almost every area, gaming especially. even if you take an Intel and an AMD of the same price range instead of clock speed like a Phenom II x4 975 (3.6Ghz Quad) and the i5 760 (2.8Ghz Quad) i think the Intel is still better for gaming while the AMD would surely beat it in multithreaded stuff like rendering etc. I should say also that you probably wont notice much difference in these 2 CPU's until you go Crossfire/SLI but once you do i have a feeling the i5 will be much better. I should also say that the i5-760 is great for overclocking, with even a relatively cheap aftermarket cooler you should be able to push it to 4Ghz which lets it compete with some of the very best (stock) CPU's Intel sell atm. (For gaming)

As for your mobo, if youre planning SLI/Crossfire take a look at the ASUS p7p55-d PRO.

Lastly, about your graphics card. You seem to be leaning toward ATI, thats fine but i do urge you to check out reviews/benchmarks for the GTX 460 1GB (especially the SLI scaling) before buying because it is a great card for this kind of budget. (I have one myself, planning to get another soon :D ) And if you do go for a 460 i'd stay away from the Palit one because the cooling isnt all that great compared to say the Gigabyte or MSI models. It's also not upgradable since the mounting holes for a cooler are a bit strange and you have to buy a very specific cooler.

P.S. Just noticed you wanted 8Gb RAM, i think 4GB of decent RAM should be plenty for gaming for a good while yet and it's pretty easy to upgrade in future anyway.
!