Sign in with
Your question

Cannot Install Sparkle GeForce GT 430

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2010 7:26:27 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 531S and upgrading it has given me fits. I've added max memory and have an uprgraded PSU to power my new card. It was purchsed in order to output audio and video via HDMI to my TV. The problem is that after seating the card it is not automatically recognized and when I run the installation disk the same thing happens. The OS is Vista Home.
There is no video card to remove. I understand that you are supposed to disable the onboard graphics thru the device manager. But if I do that and the card remains unrecognized I afraid I'll be stuck with no way to go back and undo the diabled graphics. Any suggestions. :o 
BTW the card IS getting power. The fan runs when the computer boots up
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 8:08:34 PM

Make sure you attach your monitor to the GT 430 and not the onboard.

If Windows doesn't recognize that a new device is installed...
1) The video card is a dud.
2) Your PCI-E x16 slot is a dud.
3) You need to activate the slot in the BIOS.
4) The card is not seated properly.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 12:39:36 AM

solution: remove gt430 and take it back as it is the worst video card ever for the price, get yourself a gt240 or 5570 which are both faster than that card. If your only wish is to get hdmi, the cheapest ati card, 5450, can do that.
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2010 2:09:07 AM

jerreece said:
Make sure you attach your monitor to the GT 430 and not the onboard.

If Windows doesn't recognize that a new device is installed...
1) The video card is a dud.
2) Your PCI-E x16 slot is a dud.
3) You need to activate the slot in the BIOS.
4) The card is not seated properly.

Thank you for your interest and help.

Is there anyway to A/B the dud card vs dud slot dilema? My guess is no but thought I'd ask.
I'm not sure how to go about activating the slot in the BIOS. I do know how to de-activate the the On Board graphics but as I indicated my fear is once deactivated if the OS does not read the card after this step is taken that I will no longer have anyway of viewing the monitor to reactivate theOn Board graphics while I return the card and investigate other options.

It is seated properly. I was able to supply even pressure and the full length of the car was able to be firmly oushed into the slot and is parallell all the way across.
m
l
December 23, 2010 2:20:11 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
solution: remove gt430 and take it back as it is the worst video card ever for the price, get yourself a gt240 or 5570 which are both faster than that card. If your only wish is to get hdmi, the cheapest ati card, 5450, can do that.

Thanks for your help as well

The graphics card I selected was due in part to its being a low profile card. Do either of your suggestions fit the bill?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 2:34:41 AM

Your power supply was likely already sufficient for that card actually.
But anyway, yeah, crowe is right. Not a very good card, for gaming at least. If you aren't gaming then it will do just fine even if it is a bit pricey.
If you are gaming then the cards crowe listed would be better than the GT 430 but there are low profile versions of both the HD5670 and HD5750. They would be your best choice for gaming, depending on what you want to spend.
As for trying to get the GT 430 to work I would recommend disabling the onboard video in the BIOS. If it does not work and you have no video what you'll want to do is reset the BIOS by removing the battery on the motherboard for a bit then putting it back in. There is also probably a jumper you can use to do the same if you can find a manual for the motherboard in your computer(check the Dell site.)
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 2:54:48 AM

Crowe and Jyjjy covered what I would have said. The GT430 is the biggest joke of a card (at least when it launched) that I've seen in quite some time. To be actually slower then the GT240 in gaming while costing more is an insult. The only thing the GT430 does is 3d. As I mentioned in the review of the card however, if you want 3d and have spent all that money on 3d screens and glasses, I doubt you want a simple card like the GT430.

GT240, 9800GT, etc if you want Nvidia, 5570 or 5670 if you will run AMD. All should be in half height form except for the 9800GT. I think a few were released, but they are probably hard to find now and cost to much.
m
l
!