Sign in with
Your question

How should I upgrade my computer?

Last response: in Components
May 26, 2011 6:45:24 AM

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-...

That is my setup, the only differences are that it now has 1 GB x 4 RAM. It has a 500 watt psu, and it holds a radeon 5770 GPU.

I was wondering about the following:

1. Should I just get a new GPU? (I'm thinking between the geforce 560 and the radeon 6870)

2. The PC is 4 years old, so the cooler (OEM) is also 4 years old. Even though I dusted it and put new thermal past, when it's a hot day and I play BF:BC2 for a while, it starts to make a very loud noise. - So should I get a new fan? Since my case is HP and its cramped I was thinking of getting this: http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_129...

3. Since its a premade PC, I probably can't overclock my q6600.

So should I just get a new gpu, and wait a few more years until I build a brand new PC?

What are your suggestions and tips? I don't have a whole lot of money so please keep that in mind.

Thank you!

More about : upgrade computer

May 26, 2011 10:05:29 AM

Only if your power supply can handle it. Most oem ps are cheap 250-300 watt units, not enough for a decent card. Get the new power supply before ordering a card. I suggest corsair or antec with at least 550 watts.
May 26, 2011 2:55:35 PM

AFAIK, that Q6600 can be overclocked but it may depend on the motherboard you have in the system. Also, before you update to a newer graphics card, check that the motherboard isn't going to bottleneck it. A 4-year old system may not have a PCIe slot that can get the most out of a new card. A 500W PSU is possibly a bit on the low side, so you may want to upgrade that to 650W. On the other hand, if your system can't get the best out of a card like the GeForce 560 then you could go for a cheaper, older one that won't tax your 500W PSU as much. As for the CPU heatsink, yes I'd replace it. The heatsink/fan you linked should be fine for you.
!