Computer shutting down while playing games

therealzeus

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
While playing games, such as COD 4 or SC II, my computer will occasionally just shut off like someone pulled the power cord out. Ive seen it might be the PSU but im not sure.

My specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Crucial 4048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory
Ultra LS600 Lifetime Series 600W Power Supply
Nvidia 9800 GT

my temps are:

gpu: 62
cpu: 42

PSU ratings:

3.3V - 2.93V
5V - 4.95V
12V- 12.10V
+5V - 4.89V
CPU VCore - 1.41V
VIN1 - 1.23V

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Your temperatures seem within the correct range, although you don't specify whether they're taken when the PC is idling or under load. I think you're correct in assuming it's the PSU...the ironically-named 'Lifetime Series' is from a company that makes cheaper PSUs, and judging by your spec you've had this since about 2008ish? If you can, try swapping out the PSU and seeing if you have the same issues.

In fact, if this issue is an intermittent one, before doing anything run Prime95 and/or Furmark and record how long it takes for the PC to turn itself off. Then, with the new PSU, run the tests again. Should indicate reasonably quickly if the PSU change has rectified the issue.

Another vote for the PSU, although your system doesn't load it much. Check also for bad capacitors on the mobo. Finally, 62C seems a little high for a GPU IDLE temp; that's fine for under load, but if that's at idle, check the load temps. That would be a separate problem though, as an overheating GPU tends to artifact or crash, not cause a power-off behavior.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Whilst I'd agree with you that on paper the system wouldn't load the PSU much, check out the article below (done by Tom's, no less). The up-shot is that cheaper PSUs may not perform as expected from the specs. Even if the OP's 600W PSU did perform as per the spec when it was new, after several years of use it may have degraded to the point it's causing this issue.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,review-32182.html

Despite adding (and describing) some very nice test equipment, Tom's is not [yet] a good source for in-depth information on PSUs. HardOCP, Jonnyguru, and especially HardwareSecrets perform the best competent technical reviews, including the waveform analyses that make that very point. If capacitors have failed in the PSU, the voltages under any kind of load might be all over the place.

leon2006

Distinguished

Run prime95 establish the reliability of your pc for ~ 4 to 8 hours... You should get 0 failures. You can do the same for furmark.
Measure (datalog) your power (voltage/current) & Temperature using hardware monitor.

Your PSU is not one of those "Known good brand " PSU. Get an Antec, Corsair, Seasonic brand PSU.

mi1ez

Splendid

We've rebuilt our entire network at work twice this year. Once after it destroyed itself, just to get everything working again. Once because it didn't seem worth rebuilding all the group policy, then upgrading everything again in the summer so we've pulled our upgrade cycle forward this year and set up the network much more sensibly for it's size.

The upshot is that I've not had a lot of spare time. All's good though.

How you doing?

So you've been busy eh? Doing well thanks.

The last pic of that PSU shows the little voltage switch that gives it away as an older, inefficient design at best, and overrated junk at worst. Age will have made the latter more likely, especially if capacitors in it are failing/have failed. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and at least 80+ certification for efficiency.

Absolutely. make sure everything is plugged in properly. Also those Ultra PSU's are pretty poor quality. if making sure that connector is plugged in doesnt work, just replace that psu.