First Build (need some knowledge and later some advice)

ataryens

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hello everyone,
First, I want to apologize in case Im putting this in the wrong section or etc..

I am thinking of making the pc once SB and bulldozer come out as I believe it will give me more options and also possibly reduce the price of other cpu/mbs. This takes me to reason why I made this post. I wanted to see if the tiny amount of knowledge that I have about hardware are correct. So is waiting for SB and bulldozer a good idea or it doesnt matter at my budget (other prices wont fall and I cant afford SB and BD).
What I had in mind for making this pc which is gonna be for my GF (mostly gaming, ranging from something like dragon age 2 to Heroes of M&M to diablo 3):

Good MB, CPU, PSU + decent GPU(OCed) --2 years-> upgrade GPU at 200$ --in 2 years-> buy more fans at 50$ + OC CPU and GPU
Hoping it would last (run most games at Med settings) a total of 6 years.

I was under the impression that OCing would lower the lifetime of the hardware to some extent, hence the idea above.

I will update this again in a few months when the time has come:

Approximate Purchase Date: once SB and bulldozer come out

Budget Range: around 1000 CAD, including monitor, excluding OS

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, torrent (need at least 1t) , surfing the internet, watching movies,

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, OS, 16x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL drive
Ethernet and speakers and a 200GB 7200 Harddrive, (im guessing i can use the ones from old desktop, but would need more harddrive)
Im guessing I cant use old case and PSU.

Country of Origin, Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Montreal, Canada. Im guessing newegg.ca would be the best option, I dont have a problem driving ~30min to pick up stuff if i save at least the gas price.

Parts Preferences: I have has bad experiences with AMD cpu overheating on my shitty laptop :O but im a noob.

Overclocking: not sure/explained above

SLI or Crossfire: not sure/explained above

Monitor Resolution: ~1680x1050 unless its unrealistic at my budget

Additional Comments: SSD for the OS would be nice but probably not doable with this budget.

I am sure I am forgetting alot of stuff that I wanted to write :(

Thank you for your time guys,

Ata

Solution
The thing to keep in mind is if you want to go cheaper you go AMD/Radeon, if you want better performance go Intel/Nvidia.

Laptops can run hot, they are rarely designed well for gaming/folding and most don't have good ventilation.

A card like this one GTX 460 $160 EVGA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

Why? - EVGA makes the best, and if your gaming then your Video Card is #1. my gtx275 is 2yrs+ old and can run any game out still and i will be playing diablo 3 on it no sweat.. so go for cheaper card if you want, but buy a good brand or you will regret it.

Keep in mind Radeon has slipped a little and there series of cards has fallen behind Nvidia's in performance of late.

As far as Motherboard...

exr09

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Because new parts (chipsets and mobos) usually come with the release of new platforms, your best bet is probably to wait until they come out before researching parts.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
The thing to keep in mind is if you want to go cheaper you go AMD/Radeon, if you want better performance go Intel/Nvidia.

Laptops can run hot, they are rarely designed well for gaming/folding and most don't have good ventilation.

A card like this one GTX 460 $160 EVGA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

Why? - EVGA makes the best, and if your gaming then your Video Card is #1. my gtx275 is 2yrs+ old and can run any game out still and i will be playing diablo 3 on it no sweat.. so go for cheaper card if you want, but buy a good brand or you will regret it.

Keep in mind Radeon has slipped a little and there series of cards has fallen behind Nvidia's in performance of late.

As far as Motherboard, there fairly cheap, i always had good luck with Gigabyte.

Why Pick AMD Processor vs a intel?
1. Your on a budget
-Intels use more power
-Intel motherboards cost more
-Intel Processors cost more
-AMD should perfect their 6 core soon and it will still be AM3 slot.

The thing to keep in mind is you don't have to have the top of the line equipment to run everything out there. My PC cost $850 and it consist of this

OCZ 4gb OC RAM DDR3
Quad Core phenom2 Deneb Processor
7200 rpm 500gb Seagate (barracuda)
EVGA GTX275 - (evga usually slightly overclock their video cards)

I have a suggestion for your System below:

This system cost about $820. so that $180 for a case/shipping you can play around. I went with a Much larger then neede PSU you can easily save $100 by finding a cheaper one. Just over shooot your wattage because PSU's degrade over time. a 750w PSU is no longer 750w after a couple years... so over shoot a little.

There is no game out right now (2yrs 4 months after i built this) that i can't run. I have not needed to overclock or upgrade any parts.

Why i suggested this?
1. 1Tb Hard drive (your specs 7200rpm)
2. 6xCore processor (cheap and a monster...)
3. 4Gb ram Tuned (running virtual machines and multiboxing dont put me over 4 gb.
4. Motherboard/VideoCard/PowerSupply are all SLI compait. so instead of fiddling with overclocking later on you can easily slap in another gtx460 card (this is a x16 x 2 power board) and get a HUGE boost to your system and the price will prob be under $100 in a couple years.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$64.99

ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
$139.99

EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$159.99

OCZ ZX Series OCZ-ZX850W 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply Compatible with Core i5 & i7
$199.99

OCZ Blade SuperTuned 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3BST1600LV4GK
$64.99

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Thuban 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT75TFBGRBOX

$189.99

Solution

ataryens

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Thank you alot for your input. I see how going with amd is a better idea. But is waiting a few months a good idea? Is a big price drop to be expected when sb and bulldozer come out?