New AMD Video Encoding/Light Gaming

Ok, so I have some extra money to burn and was looking to build a Light Gaming/General Purpose Machine. Would prefer to stay with AMD, as well as ASUS, but I am open to suggestions.

Looking at the following

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
NZXT Tempest EVO Case
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED

I know that mobo has onboard graphics, but I want to play Dragon Age 2 and a couple of other games, just want to be safe.
I do a lot of video conversion, etc...

I am looking to purchase/build in the next 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Budget is around $1000.
3 answers Last reply
More about video encoding light gaming
  1. I'm trying to guage your expectation of graphics performance.

When you say light gaming, what do you expect out of your video performance?

Are you willing to go without details? Or to accept jagged edges?
  2. ubercake said:
    I'm trying to guage your expectation of graphics performance.

When you say light gaming, what do you expect out of your video performance?

Are you willing to go without details? Or to accept jagged edges?

No, I just purchased a 22" Viewsonic VX2250WM-LED and would love for the picture to look great.

I do not plan on playing tons of games, not a big Crysis fan. Mainly Dragon Age 2 and Civilization IV.

I would prefer the picture to look good, but I do not need it maxed out on the highest settings all the time.
  3. I'd say go for a GTX 560 or an HD 6870 or 6950. Decent in both quality and performance. There is also a heck of a deal going on 5870s these days. They are a generation back, but nonetheless decent cards in their own right.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build AMD Systems