PC shuts down randomly

RBK929

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hi,

I have never used a forum, so please bear with me. TX.
In the past few weeks my computer just shuts down very randomly.
Yesterday it ran fine all day, some days, in fact the last few it has not shut down at all, then today I booted system, went about my normal use and within 10 minutes it just shut down. I restarted it in safe mode, no problems, but it's so random can't be sure I guess. I rebooted and since it's run fine... been a few hours now.

I am not hardware/system savy, never needed to be, so much of the jargon goes over my head.
I'm no idiot I can follow...but I'm no guru either.

Here is what I have done so far: SFC scannow....no problems/100%
The temperature seems not to be an issue since it will happen after just starting, like earlier today....it was cool, and is vented well when on for long periods of time.
I used my repair disc and for a few days thought that had corrected the problem.... well, it did not.

I have seen others with the same or similar issues here and read what seemed to apply but every pc is different so I thought I should start a fresh thread.

Where to go from here...system info below.
Would also appreciate any info on improving system function/cleaning up registries/etc...
Thanks for any and all help! -RBK

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PC
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model NV59C
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz, 2266 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Gateway V1.09, 6/8/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name PC
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.68 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.74 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.35 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.32 GB
Page File Space 3.68 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Onlyusemeisaac

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Well one good program for maintenance is 'Glary Utilites', it has various sub-programs for optimizing your PC. But it will likely not solve your crashing issue, just improve performance slightly.

http://www.glarysoft.com/

hydroment

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
A bad memory location can cause what you describe. Does your system seem to crash more frequently when running multiple apps at the same time or manipulating large files, such as video or other graphics? I had a system just this way recently. I isolated the memory stick by removing all memory and installing them back one by one and running diagnostic.

You can locate the Win7 memory diagnostic tool by clicking on the Windows orb, and typing or copy/paste the following...

MdSched.exe

Bad memory locations are like finding a needle in a haystack or russian roulette. One or two addresses out of 4 billion, but the more memory you use with the OS, apps, and open files, the more likely you are to use the bad address.

Hope this helps.