Max RAM for current chipset?

arcelivez

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hello,

well I have a laptop with only 3 GB ram and always lacking it since I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid (64bit OS). And my problems is that officially my Laptop is supposed to support only up to 4 GB RAM, this means 2 x 2 GB memory modules with 800 Mhz clock frequency. The current setup is 2 GB + 1 GB Modules with 667 Mhz frequency.

So the questions are what would happen if I tried putting in instead of that 1 GB module a 4 GB module with for example 667 Mhz (The module would be of the same type, but just size not 2 GB but 4 GB). What could happen? Would the module not get recognized by my System/Chipset at all? Or would the System see the new module only as 2 GB large instead of 4 GB? Or is it possible that the System would successfully accept the new 4 GB Module and I would have 6 GB RAM in my System?
Please help me guys with this. The manufacturer says that it's recommeded to use Maximum 2 x 2 GB memory modules with 800 Mhz to ensure the system is stable, and they don't guarantee any functionality for any different configurations.

Also whatever Module I choose, schould I go for the RAM with higher frequency or the frequency so that both of my modules have the same frequency? Cause right now my modules are 667 Mhz, so the new module should be also 667 Mhz or should I aim for the highest frequency?

Thanks in advance.

Arturas

Would the module not get recognized by my System/Chipset at all? That's correct.

If the system is designed to recognize 2gb max modules, then that's the max you can install and have the system work.

I've found that laptops can be very fussy with ram, Bios settings are very limited which means that if you bought higher speed ram it would downclock to default settings.

If manuf states max per slot is 2 gigs, then their is a very good chance that a 4 gig module will not work. There have been some exceptions (may require updating the laptop bios).

General comment - You are running the memory in single channel mode. Two run your memory in daul channel mode you need matched sets of ram modules.
Both (1) and (2) should boost memory performance as you would be going from 3 -> 4 gigs ram (Note, if using 32 bit operating system 4 gigs really gives about 3.75 Gigs) and two you would now be using daul channel.
(1) Buy a single stick that matches your one 2 gig stick (Brand/timings/speed/and voltage.
.. You can down load CPU-Z and click on the memory and SPD tabs at top to get this info.
(2) buy a 2 x 2 Kit, matching voltage and speed of orginal ram.

arcelivez

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

thanks a lot man.
maybe you also have an idea how ram module clock frequency schould be? i mean can different modules have different clock frequency or schould they have the same frequency to be more stable/work better?

can different modules have different clock frequency or schould they have the same frequency to be more stable/work better?

Memory modules have to be matched or they will most likely not work together at all. There's the oddball case where a mismatched pair will just happen to work, but that is very rare.