Sign in with
Your question

New computer build : powers off after 1-2 secs

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2011 7:12:00 PM

So I recently put together a new computer- everything is installed. Seems all cables are plugged in correctly. The problem is it won't power up. I plug it in, it attempts to power up. Lights pop on, fans start, they spin for maybe a second or two, and the entire system shuts down. The power light goes from green to red on the PSU itself. Also, the cpu cooler has arctic silver and is seated very firmly. My mobo has a clear Cmos button on the IO panel, cleared that.

The following is the parts list. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. [:huntluck]

I should be able to exchange the mobo/cpu if they are the problem for another one. My other thought is, would the GPU maybe not be getting the correct power, and if so could that cause this?

PARTS LIST :

1 x CPU AMD|PH II X4 965 3.4G AM3 RT

1 x VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1366-TR GTX460 SE R

1 x HD 1.5T|ST ST31500341AS 7K 32M % - OEM

1 x MEM 4Gx2|CORSAIR CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 R

1 x MB ASROCK| 870 EXTREME3 R

1 x Antec Nine Hundred Two case

1X ETASIS ET750 True 750W, Max 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

1X LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R

EDIT : I removed vid card and powered up. It powers and stays running. I've heard no beeps either. Mayhaps bad vidcard or as I suspected, not enough power to card? Thoughts?
February 24, 2011 9:35:41 PM

Further note : Replaced GPU with an older 12 mb pci-e card I had laying around. Booted and am installing windows atm. Does that perhaps sound more like a PSU or GPU problem now?

xxzabxx said:
So I recently put together a new computer- everything is installed. Seems all cables are plugged in correctly. The problem is it won't power up. I plug it in, it attempts to power up. Lights pop on, fans start, they spin for maybe a second or two, and the entire system shuts down. The power light goes from green to red on the PSU itself. Also, the cpu cooler has arctic silver and is seated very firmly. My mobo has a clear Cmos button on the IO panel, cleared that.

The following is the parts list. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. [:huntluck]

I should be able to exchange the mobo/cpu if they are the problem for another one. My other thought is, would the GPU maybe not be getting the correct power, and if so could that cause this?

PARTS LIST :

1 x CPU AMD|PH II X4 965 3.4G AM3 RT

1 x VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1366-TR GTX460 SE R

1 x HD 1.5T|ST ST31500341AS 7K 32M % - OEM

1 x MEM 4Gx2|CORSAIR CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 R

1 x MB ASROCK| 870 EXTREME3 R

1 x Antec Nine Hundred Two case

1X ETASIS ET750 True 750W, Max 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

1X LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R

EDIT : I removed vid card and powered up. It powers and stays running. I've heard no beeps either. Mayhaps bad vidcard or as I suspected, not enough power to card? Thoughts?

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2011 10:18:27 PM

A 460? Those are supposed to be better about not needing a nuclear plant to power it than the originals. So I'd go with RMA the video card. (unless you didn't plug the power to it right or something)

If you have a problem still after getting the replacement, you can do the other one.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2011 3:29:24 AM

I had the exact same problem when I built mine...sent my PSU back for a full refund and bought one with more watts...fixed the problem perfectly.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2011 8:37:49 AM

I recently bought a bad 5850 that I had to exchange or another. When I put the bad card in the system, it did the same thing, would not even POST or would restart on me after the beep and eventually power down. I've since added a third card to my system, so I know it wasn't a power problem.

Since you're able to install windows with the other card in, and your power supply seems to have enough power for one card (though it's been deactivated by newegg=suspect: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), I would exchange the video card first. Hopefully that does it for you. If it doesn't, I'd try another PSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2011 12:20:56 PM

a no-name PSU is ALWAYS suspect.. Don't cheap-out on the power supply! It's the only component that can take out all your other components if it fails!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2011 10:55:55 PM

Good catch on the brand of power supply, I just skimmed that part and thought it was an antec.
m
l
!