Sign in with
Your question

SSD Life going down like crazy

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 26, 2011 1:57:15 PM

As this is my first post, I'd like to say hello to the entire community.

I've been using a 96GB Vertex SSD for almost a month now. The first days after installing SSDLife tool everything seemed normal, the life expectancy of the drive was around 8 years. I haven't been doing any crazy traffic since, but in the last week or so the S.M.A.R.T. health meter started to drop (1% every 1-2 days). I've heard of limited life, but this is ridiculous... I've tried other drive monitoring software and all of them state the same health. I've disabled defragmentation, prefetch/superfetch is also disabled, TRIM is activated.

Here is my SSDLife result:

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit on a P5QL-Pro, Q9550, 4GB DDR2, GTX 460.
Thank you in advance for your help.

More about : ssd life crazy

May 27, 2011 7:10:19 AM

Welcome to Tom's Forum!

BTW, defrag is not necessary for any SSD. In fact, defrag is bad for an SSD. The data seek is not like a HDD which has sectors and fragmentation would increase data retrieval.

The cells in an SSD do wear out due to repeated writing and erasing. However, reputable SSDs have extra cells to compensate for worn cells and wear-levelers to ensure that the same cells do not get used over and over.

OCZ is a good brand and is there some other way of checking the SSD other than SMART?

Maybe SMART has some bugs to be worked out as far as SSDs are concerned.
May 27, 2011 7:41:50 AM

nicuj0r said:
As this is my first post, I'd like to say hello to the entire community.

I've been using a 96GB Vertex SSD for almost a month now. The first days after installing SSDLife tool everything seemed normal, the life expectancy of the drive was around 8 years. I haven't been doing any crazy traffic since, but in the last week or so the S.M.A.R.T. health meter started to drop (1% every 1-2 days). I've heard of limited life, but this is ridiculous... I've tried other drive monitoring software and all of them state the same health. I've disabled defragmentation, prefetch/superfetch is also disabled, TRIM is activated.

Here is my SSDLife result:

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/nicuj0r/SSDLife.png

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit on a P5QL-Pro, Q9550, 4GB DDR2, GTX 460.
Thank you in advance for your help.

you could well have a fault, enquire about sending it back.
Related resources
May 27, 2011 8:11:36 AM

http://ssd-life.com/eng/how.html

Why does the date change dramatically?

In some cases, the estimated lifetime can change dramatically. It happens if the amount of data written to the drive quickly increases. For example, if you install some large game. But do not worry, literally in a couple of days SSDLife will figure out that it was a one-time upsurge and the disk is back to its normal amounts of written data so it will correct the estimated lifetime.

Looking at your screenshot, you've written 38gb to it in a week. Relax.
May 27, 2011 8:23:01 AM

I'mnot sure how good that tool is, but its estimating only 10months of life in total. if it were goin up and down i'd be suggesting that its is 'learning' but just going down... this is all of course assuming that the software does what it says it does.
May 27, 2011 8:27:31 AM

It's fine, my SSD is at 100% and I've written more than 4 times to it than the original poster. I just wrote it over a few months not a few days and thats the thing you can't use SSD's like normal hard drives.
May 27, 2011 8:31:07 AM

Make sure you change your downloads folder to another drive as well, that way even if you are installing a game on the SSD, you aren't writing to it twice for no reason.
May 27, 2011 8:49:40 AM

bobdozer said:
It's fine, my SSD is at 100% and I've written more than 4 times to it than the original poster. I just wrote it over a few months not a few days and thats the thing you can't use SSD's like normal hard drives.

Yes it could just massively uder-estimating due to intensive first use period, installation etc.
June 1, 2011 1:47:01 AM

Ok, so I guess I'm writing too much data on it; I'll try to redirect the users and programs folder to another drive (I'm also using a satellite tv tuner, I assume it's making a hell of a lot of traffic on the drive). Thanks for the advice guys, here's a little update on my drive's health lol...

June 1, 2011 2:19:36 AM

You should keep smaller apps on it - firefox. office etc, but move games to your hard drive instead (or maybe keep the one game you play most on the SSD). But the most important thing is you really have to move your download folder to your hard drive, and stuff like Steam as well.
June 1, 2011 8:12:06 AM

i've installed it to have a look at my ssd, its claiming i've written about 512GB in about 6 weeks, and gives me a lifespan of 14 years.

I'd suggest you discuss an RMA with your supplier?
!