Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Galaxy GTS 250 Fan Noise - other cooling options

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2010 10:51:39 PM

In October, I bought a Galaxy GTS 250 at Best Buy. The card installed great and works perfectly. In the last week though, the fan has begun making a great deal of noise.

The case and fan are perfectly clean and the noise happens only when the case is in the upright position, not when it is laying horizontal.

I talked to the folks at Best Buy and they say that the fan on the card has a bad bearing and needs to be replaced.

I emailed Galaxy and got a form mail back saying to send back all kinds of data and they would look into a possible RMA. I would then be out of a card and I kind of need it.

So my question is are there any other cooling options available for this card? I know its a re-badge of a 9800+ and has a special fan setup in addition to the larger memory.

Are there any after-market fan/heatsink options for cooling this thing?

Thanks
a b Î Nvidia
December 22, 2010 11:38:16 PM

If you are looking into getting a new cooler then I suggest a Zalman VF1000, they aren't cheap but I wouldn't recommend a cooler that I haven't first tried and used my self on my own nickle and dime. You can also dismount the cooler and remove then fan then re-grease/oil the bearings on the fan that may go very far as to improving the condition of the fan.
Score
December 29, 2010 10:57:07 PM

I can't even get the cooler assembly off. There are no visible screws.
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2010 11:03:04 PM

cavalier92 said:
I can't even get the cooler assembly off. There are no visible screws.

Do you own a camera or cell phone that you can use to take a picture of the back back side of the card.
Score
December 29, 2010 11:50:21 PM

the whole assembly comes off with 4 screws, but there is a plastic shroud over the fan and aluminum heat sink. I can't figure out how to get that shroud off!
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2010 12:50:25 AM

cavalier92 said:
the whole assembly comes off with 4 screws, but there is a plastic shroud over the fan and aluminum heat sink. I can't figure out how to get that shroud off!

Is this the card that you have?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If not try to type the model name that is on the box. It should come after the brand name and the gen name of the card with a bunch of letters and numbers but not a serial #
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2010 11:56:33 AM

Well the one that you linked still has 4 screws on the back but the one that newegg used to take snaps of has stripped screws and from reading your posts it seams as though they may as well be stripped. You can still do a few tricks to get the cooler off. Do you have any pliers?
Score
December 30, 2010 1:38:36 PM

Yeah - I guess I can use the pliers to unscrew them. I disconnected the fan and the thing actually runs at exactly the same temps. How screwy is that? I am running it at stock speeds and not really a hard core gamer, so I guess I am not pushing it very hard. It's running at 61C under a standard web gaming situation and only gets to 70C running Civ 5, Combat Arms and MLB 2k10, which are the game I play.

Is it possible the stock fan is that inefficient???
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2010 2:05:59 PM

Yes very if the card is working passively without it but I would try to put a fan near the rest of the card to keep the vram and power vrm from failing. The core may be stable and cool but the same can't be said about the rest of the card for the long term. A slow running 80mm or larger fan would suffice.
Score
December 30, 2010 2:15:26 PM

I've got an Antec 900 case, so the 2 stock fans are pulling air out of the case. I just ordered a pair of Sythce Gentle Typhoons (120mm running at 1450 rpm and 20dB) to pus air into the case. One will blow directly onto the video card. Think that will do it? Or should I be looking at something else?
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2010 3:39:54 PM

That will be good but make sure that nothing it getting to hot during use even if you had to pat the card down with the back of your hand. The reason is to make sure that there isn't any thing that can be a problem later down the road but beyond that I think that you are ok.
December 30, 2010 3:48:51 PM

Best answer selected by cavalier92.
Score
December 30, 2010 3:48:53 PM

Thanks
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2010 4:15:01 PM

Your welcome. :) 
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
December 30, 2010 5:23:33 PM