ATI Crossfire FAIL plz Help

zbrook88

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Two XFX Radeon HD 5830's in crossfire (yes they are correctly installed, driver updates, ect..)

The second graphics card is not being utilized...and I've been troubleshooting this for weeks now.

Here is my conversation with the XFX support team:

Me: I finally got the crossfire working for the two 5830`s! I had to install the latest version of the visual driver and CCC. But, there are a few issues. When I log in to my windows username the screen seizures for a few seconds as it changes screens. It`s very annoying, and this also happens when I open applications (such as starcraft 2). Another Issue is under CCC it is not showing the temperature or use of my second card in crossfire. The first card has [Sync Master] (which is my monitor) after the name of the card, and my second card does have [Sync Master]. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it. Thanks for your help!

XFX: The 2nd card is turned off when outside of a game. So it`s normal. Go into the catalyst control center. Then go to over drive. Once in overdrive unlock it and then check enable overdrive. Then click defaults and ok. Then click apply. Then uncheck enable ati overdrive and then click ok. Daniel

Me: This did not work, I set all settings to default for both cards under CCC and I am still not getting temp/activity readings. Both cards do work fine, I`ve check them both individually in separate slots as well.

Me: Also, I played starcraft 2 while GPU-Z was running and it showed my second card stayed at core clock: 157MHz and mem clock: 300MHz the entire time.

XFX: Try the steps the PDF found here: http://xfxsupport.info/downloads/documentation/ATI-Driver-installation-Troubleshooting.pdf. Also, if you go back a driver or 2, will it do the same thing or will it be more stable? Keep us posted. Thanks, Brian.

Me:I went though that entire PDF and still no progress. Still has severe screen spasms when logging in or opening applications. Also, the second card is not being utilized, its reading that its in crossfire and everything, just no use of it. I am running the newest drivers as well 10.12. although the older drivers that came with my card did seem to not give me any screen spasms, it still did not utilize my second card in crossfire. Again, everything is hooked up properly and I`ve already troubleshooted my motherboard, and that`s not the problem. My power supply is Ultra X4 750W, is this enough power for two HD 5830`s? I don`t know what other problem it could be. Please help, thanks.

End of conversation.

So as you can see, this dilemma has not only me perplexed. Please help if you have any insight, thanks I appreciate it.

COMPUTER SPECS:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3
MB: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB3 AMD 890GX
HDD: Hitachi 2TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB
RAM: 2x Corsair XMS3 4GB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz
GPU: 2x XFX Radeon HD 5830 1GB PCIe DDR5
PS: ULTRA X4 750W POWER SUPPLY MODULAR