Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell won't write to DVD burner in ADS Pyro firewire case

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 29, 2005 1:23:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm trying to use Norton Ghost to backup my system and Ghost appears
either not see my external LiteOn DVD burner which is in an ADS Pyro
firewire enclosure or is unable to recognize my DVD blank.

I appear to be able to play DVD's from that drive and to write data to
blank CD's on it. I'm not familiar with burning CD's or DVD's and
wonder if I am missing some piece of software that enables writing to a
DVD in the firewire burner.

Thanks, Ron
March 29, 2005 9:57:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

ron <rkwlam@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I'm trying to use Norton Ghost to backup my system and Ghost appears
: either not see my external LiteOn DVD burner which is in an ADS Pyro
: firewire enclosure or is unable to recognize my DVD blank.

: I appear to be able to play DVD's from that drive and to write data to
: blank CD's on it. I'm not familiar with burning CD's or DVD's and
: wonder if I am missing some piece of software that enables writing to a
: DVD in the firewire burner.

How did you install the DVD burner? Did you use the CD that came with
the burner? Did you go to the website and get all the driver updates,
etc.?

If the DVD burner came with its own "burn a CD/DVD" software (like
Nero or EZ CD Creator), does that work in burning a DVD?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 29, 2005 11:55:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

ron wrote:
> I'm trying to use Norton Ghost to backup my system and Ghost appears
> either not see my external LiteOn DVD burner which is in an ADS Pyro
> firewire enclosure or is unable to recognize my DVD blank.
>
> I appear to be able to play DVD's from that drive and to write data to
> blank CD's on it. I'm not familiar with burning CD's or DVD's and
> wonder if I am missing some piece of software that enables writing to
> a DVD in the firewire burner.
>
> Thanks, Ron

Check for format of the media against the drive's capabilities (+R/-R,
etc). WinXP has no DVD burning capability so if this was a bare OEM
drive, you will need third party DVD burning software like Nero.

Q
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 29, 2005 11:04:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks for the replies. I don't believe that my LiteOn DVD burner came
with any drivers of it's own but just used the Microsoft driver. It is
capable of burning DVD-R blanks and those are the ones that I am using.
Now Device Manager sees it as an ADS Technologies 1394
Storage-Repeater IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device, because of the ADS firewire
enclosure, I assume. Could that be causing a problem?

The burner did come with a copy of Sonic MyDVD which I have loaded.
Some of my symptoms:
-commercial DVDs play OK thru the firewire device
-I can copy a DVD from the laptop player to the firewire burner and the
resulting platter can be read on the laptop but not on the firewire
burner that created it.
-Norton Ghost won't work with the firewire burner but will write to CDs
on the laptop (which is only a CD burner) but the program has been
aborting on the second CD. First CD completed and checks ok.

Any further ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 2:47:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>I'm trying to use Norton Ghost to backup my system and Ghost appears
>either not see my external LiteOn DVD burner which is in an ADS Pyro
>firewire enclosure or is unable to recognize my DVD blank.
>
>I appear to be able to play DVD's from that drive and to write data to
>blank CD's on it. I'm not familiar with burning CD's or DVD's and
>wonder if I am missing some piece of software that enables writing to a
>DVD in the firewire burner.
>
>Thanks, Ron

SP2 has a known defect with Firewire enclosures. I have a Beta update
you can try. If you request it, I'll send it out.
andrewjbbr at gmail dot com

--------
AJ
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 3:25:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

ron wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I don't believe that my LiteOn DVD burner
> came with any drivers of it's own but just used the Microsoft driver.
> It is capable of burning DVD-R blanks and those are the ones that I
> am using. Now Device Manager sees it as an ADS Technologies 1394
> Storage-Repeater IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device, because of the ADS firewire
> enclosure, I assume. Could that be causing a problem?
>
> The burner did come with a copy of Sonic MyDVD which I have loaded.
> Some of my symptoms:
> -commercial DVDs play OK thru the firewire device
> -I can copy a DVD from the laptop player to the firewire burner and
> the resulting platter can be read on the laptop but not on the
> firewire burner that created it.
> -Norton Ghost won't work with the firewire burner but will write to
> CDs on the laptop (which is only a CD burner) but the program has been
> aborting on the second CD. First CD completed and checks ok.
>
> Any further ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

How is the drive powered? It does have an external power supply?

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 3:27:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

AndrewJ wrote:
>> I'm trying to use Norton Ghost to backup my system and Ghost appears
>> either not see my external LiteOn DVD burner which is in an ADS Pyro
>> firewire enclosure or is unable to recognize my DVD blank.
>>
>> I appear to be able to play DVD's from that drive and to write data
>> to blank CD's on it. I'm not familiar with burning CD's or DVD's and
>> wonder if I am missing some piece of software that enables writing
>> to a DVD in the firewire burner.
>>
>> Thanks, Ron
>
> SP2 has a known defect with Firewire enclosures. I have a Beta update
> you can try. If you request it, I'll send it out.
> andrewjbbr at gmail dot com
>
> --------
> AJ

Do you have a reference to this problem? Just wondering since I have no
problem burning DVDs with a NEC 3500a drive in a Firewire enclosure.

Q
March 30, 2005 7:30:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

ron <rkwlam@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Thanks for the replies. I don't believe that my LiteOn DVD burner came
: with any drivers of it's own but just used the Microsoft driver. It is
: capable of burning DVD-R blanks and those are the ones that I am using.
: Now Device Manager sees it as an ADS Technologies 1394
: Storage-Repeater IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device, because of the ADS firewire
: enclosure, I assume. Could that be causing a problem?

I would go to the LiteOn site and try to get latest drivers for your
burner, also for the firewire enclosure from ADS (though for the
enclosure you may just use built-in drivers only). Worth a shot.

You should also consider upgrading to the latest firmware for the
LiteOn burner. There's a chance you might not be able to do this with
an internal DVD burner being used in an enclosure; some I have
encoutered will do a firmware update only when installed in a desktop
system (my NEC burner is nifty, though - it will allows upgrading the
firmware even through Windows with my enclosure).

A newer firmware may solve some of your issues. It did with my older
Sony external burner.

: -Norton Ghost won't work with the firewire burner but will write to CDs
: on the laptop (which is only a CD burner) but the program has been
: aborting on the second CD. First CD completed and checks ok.

If you can burn DVDs with Windows XP and other software but not Ghost,
then you should check with Symantec. This could be a known issue with
a work-around.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 31, 2005 12:01:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:27:33 -0700, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>AndrewJ wrote:
>>> I'm trying to use Norton Ghost to backup my system and Ghost appears
>>> either not see my external LiteOn DVD burner which is in an ADS Pyro
>>> firewire enclosure or is unable to recognize my DVD blank.
>>>
>>> I appear to be able to play DVD's from that drive and to write data
>>> to blank CD's on it. I'm not familiar with burning CD's or DVD's and
>>> wonder if I am missing some piece of software that enables writing
>>> to a DVD in the firewire burner.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Ron
>>
>> SP2 has a known defect with Firewire enclosures. I have a Beta update
>> you can try. If you request it, I'll send it out.
>> andrewjbbr at gmail dot com
>>
>> --------
>> AJ
>
>Do you have a reference to this problem? Just wondering since I have no
>problem burning DVDs with a NEC 3500a drive in a Firewire enclosure.
>
>Q

Sure:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885464
March 31, 2005 2:10:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> I would go to the LiteOn site and try to get latest drivers for your
> burner, also for the firewire enclosure from ADS (though for the
> enclosure you may just use built-in drivers only). Worth a shot.

I checked on the sites and LiteOn does not have any drivers for the
SOHW-812S that I have...said it used generic Microsoft Drivers. ADS
also did not show any drivers for the API-800 firewire enclosure

> You should also consider upgrading to the latest firmware for the
> LiteOn burner. There's a chance you might not be able to do this
with
> an internal DVD burner being used in an enclosure; some I have
> encoutered will do a firmware update only when installed in a desktop
> system (my NEC burner is nifty, though - it will allows upgrading the
> firmware even through Windows with my enclosure).
>
> A newer firmware may solve some of your issues. It did with my older
> Sony external burner.

I did find a firmware update from December of 04 and downloaded it.
I've never tried to flash firmware. Is it safe to try it? If the
internal DVD burner in the Firewire enclosure can't be flashed will I
do any harm by trying?

> If you can burn DVDs with Windows XP and other software but not
Ghost,
> then you should check with Symantec. This could be a known issue
with
> a work-around.

Before I contact Symantec, I want to check out my hardware and drivers
because the DVD burner doesn't behave quite right on other things
too...for instance, I can copy a DVD, burning it on the LiteOn but it
can't be read on that drive while it can on the DVD reader which is
built into the laptop.

Oh, yes the ADS Pyro has it's own external power supply.

Ron
March 31, 2005 12:33:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

ron <rkwlam@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I did find a firmware update from December of 04 and downloaded it.
: I've never tried to flash firmware. Is it safe to try it? If the
: internal DVD burner in the Firewire enclosure can't be flashed will I
: do any harm by trying?

I don't know what drive you have, but I did a quick check on their
site...if you have the SOHW-1633S, it looks like the firmware update
can be done in Windows. Try downloading it and executing. If the
program can find your drive on firewire, it should be safe to upgrade
it (worked fine with my NEC DVD burner doing it that way). Just be
careful not to interrupt power to the computer or enclosure while the
firmware is being flashed or you could ruin the drive (the flash
should take only a minute or less).

Once the firmware flash is complete (be patient and wait until you get
a message saying "complete!"), you can probably just turn off the
drive and power it back on (they tell you to re-boot, but they think
you have an internal drive, no need with an external to reboot) to see
if the upgrade took.

After you upgrade the firmware, try Ghost again and see how it works.
I wouldn't be surprised if it works better with the new firmware.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
!