Upgrading CPU Cooler & Proper cross flow

Dannyman999

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I built my computer a little over a year ago:
AMD 955 BE (Stock Cooler), on a Gigbyte MB, OCZ 600 watt power supply, Radeon HD 5770 Graphics card, 8MB of G Skill inside a Antec Three Hundred Illusion - There are a lot of fans blowing - Three with the case, power supply, graphics card, and CPU makes six fans.

Recently the CPU core temp has been running warm - 50-60 degrees Celsius - recommended max is 62. This up from the 40-50 range a few months ago. So I bought a XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082 - Good reviews, good price, and I could also then overclock my CPU. So far so good.

Then I read that this heat sink supports proper cross flow installation on AMD Mother Boards. So my question is - WHAT is proper cross flow? And what do I need to do to install this correctly?

Many Many Thanks!

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Proper cross flow would be front to back. Best to have the fan on the front pushing air thru the fins as opposed to pulling from the back. You will have to remove the mobo to install the back plate and mounting plate. Ensure that the push pins are fully seated.