Sign in with
Your question

BFG 8800 GTX OC2 power problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2010 6:11:23 AM

hey guys, this is my first ever forum entry but I've decided to rely on strangers for help:

Recently in my area we've had some power outages that fried my rig. Before this every thing was running fine. But every time I even plugged it in after the outages it was like it was stuck between being shut off and turned on. I naturally thought it was my 650 Watt PSU that was shorted out and replaced it with a 750 Watt one because why not?

This however did not solve the problem. So I was out a good power supply and now looking at being out a bad mobo. I replaced my ECS Black series mobo (not sure of the exact model #) with a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.

Now everytime the pc boots up I get this NVidia warning message saying my video card isn't receiving enough power and they throttled back the power. Games I could crush before make me limp now so needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated....and yes, all the wires are plugged in...lol.

No idea what the problem could be and my roommate who is an Electrical Engineer took a look at it and just told me to just make a new rig. Unfortunately I do not have an engineer's salary so I was hoping to salvage this one if at all possible. I can't figure out why it wouldn't have enough power when it has more than it did before.

Anyway here are my important specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Phenom IIX4
4 gigs of RAM
BFG 8800 GTX OC2 (working as well as a bunch of kindergartners with crayons)
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
OCZ OCZ750FTY 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply
1 DVD burner and 1 DVD player
Using the onboard sound and networking cards

Keep in mind that all this worked perfectly fine with a 650 Watt power supply. AND I just updated the drivers for the video card too.

Thanks a lot guys.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 12:09:33 PM

It's possible the video card was taken out in the spikie/surge, and is now bad....

Have any freinds who can test it in their rigs, or, access to a different card?
m
l
December 23, 2010 5:17:02 PM

Well the card is working now...just very badly. My knowledge of hardware is minimal at best so I'm assuming if it's working at all it wasn't affected by the surge. But I could be wrong. As far as testing it on another rig, it's actually hard to find anyone around here with enough room for a double slot video card. But I can do some digging.
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 6:37:06 PM

double check you have plugged in BOTH auxillary power connectors to the video card. Also, can you provide us with the EXACT nvidia warning that is coming up. Ive never heard of that warning. i did a quick search and could see nothing conclusive to the error. The only suggestions i have found are re-seat the video card and all power connectors and check the power connectors are not damaged. Maybe a faulty PSU.
m
l
December 23, 2010 7:14:34 PM

My leanings are towards fried GPU. I've seen GPUs in the field where they will work but barely manage 3D processing without crashing or the like. Replacing the GPU with something better worked.
m
l
December 23, 2010 7:26:28 PM

alright it says "Your NVidia Graphics Card is not receiving sufficient power. As a result, the graphics card has lowered its performance to a level allows continued safe operation. To remedy the problem, ensure that your NVidia graphics card has the supplemental power connector attached."

I have both auxiliary power connectors on the card filled. The thing is that I'm unfamiliar with these "modular" PSU's that come with power connectors that you yourself have to plug into the actual PSU and to whichever part needs a plug in. The hard drive and ROMs were easy enough to figure out, and I'm assuming that my proc has the right connection since I'm able to get past my BIOS screen.

There are Red and Black cables that came with the PSU. Most of the black cables go to specific parts like the ROMs and the hard drive. The rest of the black cables have molex ends. The red ones are just regular power connectors...two of which fit into my video card...so naturally I just slapped 'em in there.

I guess what I'm trying to get to is that you guys think maybe I should get some Molex adapters and try the black cables or something. I checked the PSU manual and most of the connections are 12v so I'm not sure that will make a difference.

Thanks a lot for the help.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 8:07:22 PM

I would try different connectors and cables. Modular power supplies sometimes faulty with bad connectors and such. Also re-seat the graphics card in the slot. You did mentioned your old PSU died, its not uncommon that when this happens, power spikes are sent through to the rest of your system and take out video cards and things. If you have tried all that, maybe the vid card has had its day and its time to replace it. You could put a hd5770 in there for very little cost and it would be a bit faster than your current card.
m
l
!