Sign in with
Your question

Bought new computer, need better video card, HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2010 6:54:22 AM

I just bought a new computer and it should arrive before Christmas. I pretty much like everything about it until I saw the video card it came with.

This is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZX87HC/ref=oss_pro...

HP Pavilion p6630f Desktop PC - Black
- 6 GB Ram
- Intel® Core™ i3-550 Processor
- Intel® HD Graphics (video card)

I did a little Google search and found out how crappy of a video card that is. So then I went to look for some video cards and came upon this:
http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-5770-Graphics-HD577AZN...

XFX Radeon HD 5770
- 1.04 billion transistor
- 1.36 TeraFLOPS processing power

I did a Google search and saw this: System Requirements- Minimum 450 Watt Power Supply Requirement

but the HP p6630f only has a power supply of 250 Watts so now I'm not really sure. I mean, this video card uses 200 more watts than the computer!

Then again, I really don't know much about computers. Do you guys think it will work? If not, could you guys recommend the best video card the HP p6630f is capable of? THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
December 23, 2010 7:14:13 AM

Android18 said:
I just bought a new computer and it should arrive before Christmas. I pretty much like everything about it until I saw the video card it came with.

This is what I bought:

- 6 GB Ram

I did a little Google search and found out how crappy of a video card that is. So then I went to look for some video cards and came upon this:

XFX Radeon HD 5770

I did a Google search and saw this: System Requirements- Minimum 450 Watt Power Supply Requirement

but the HP p6630f only has a power supply of 250 Watts so now I'm not really sure. I mean, this video card uses 200 more watts than the computer!

Then again, I really don't know much about computers. Do you guys think it will work? If not, could you guys recommend the best video card the HP p6630f is capable of? THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Hmm, HP power supplys are ussualy rubbish, as in they dont do that well giving, well power. Though i may be wrong, wait for a Computer expert to come to the thread, im into computers, but no familer with the HP line. You have two options
A- Stick it out until another computer, Which is just dumb considering Option B
B- Upgrade youre power supply also if you're case allows it. It's really simple, if youre going with the 5770, which i run on a 350W Dell computer, you should be able to get a low watt and more imporantly cheap power supply. Now do NOT get a brandless/cheap powersupply, they will 'explode' and sometimes eat youre intire system. I reccomend brands such as Corsair, Seasonic and XFX.
December 23, 2010 7:19:29 AM

lavitz1125 said:
Hmm, HP power supplys are ussualy rubbish, as in they dont do that well giving, well power. Though i may be wrong, wait for a Computer expert to come to the thread, im into computers, but no familer with the HP line. You have two options
A- Stick it out until another computer, Which is just dumb considering Option B
B- Upgrade youre power supply also if you're case allows it. It's really simple, if youre going with the 5770, which i run on a 350W Dell computer, you should be able to get a low watt and more imporantly cheap power supply. Now do NOT get a brandless/cheap powersupply, they will 'explode' and sometimes eat youre intire system. I reccomend brands such as Corsair, Seasonic and XFX.

What is the best power supply would you recommend for my new HP p6630f? Considering the fact that I might get the 5770 video card.

edit: oh and also taking into consideration the HP p6630f specs. Thanks!
Related resources
December 23, 2010 7:26:10 AM

the card itself doesnt draw 450 watts... its just a recommendation for a system which has a hd 5770... and yes a 250 power supply wont be enough to power a hd 5770... for the hd 5770 you will need to buy a new power supply which has a pciex power connector which im guesing yours dont...
something like the Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
will probably be enough to power your system
December 23, 2010 7:34:08 AM

not sure what budget you have...
so i tried to pick a reliable but cheap power supply...
but its always best to have a little bit of headroom when buying a power supply so maybe above 500W is best...
in that case CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W would be a great option if you dont plan on going crossfire or a dual gpu setup
December 23, 2010 7:38:30 AM

Ok guys, I found this power supply:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2677A/ref=ord_car...

Corsair 750 Watts

I think that should do it. But can the HP p6630f handle it? Is the p6630f capable of handling these two new improvements?

edit: hey tomate2, budget is not really a problem for me, however I don't prefer the most expensive product out there, but something of high quality and decent price.

and what do you think about the PSU i picked?
December 23, 2010 7:54:39 AM

750 is the maximum power draw of the psu so it wont be drawing 750 all the time... your system components draw that power so you will be only using 250... that is a bit overkill though... i think that using less than 50% or something from the maximum power draw of your psu lowers efficiency or something
December 23, 2010 7:59:39 AM

Yeah i agree, over kill but future proof. Corsair are great brand.

If you havn't all ready got the card i suggest XFX, best video brand out there.(IMO) I and i also hope tomate does also, that we helped you out in this time of power supplys and graphic cards. Any other problems Post here or Pm me.
December 23, 2010 8:02:40 AM

tomate2 said:
750 is the maximum power draw of the psu so it wont be drawing 750 all the time... your system components draw that power so you will be only using 250... that is a bit overkill though... i think that using less than 50% or something from the maximum power draw of your psu lowers efficiency or something

250 + 450 (radeon 5770) = 700

if you add that together 750 watts doesn't really seem like that much of an overkill anymore, right?

hmm what do you think? i have about 14 hours before making my decision
December 23, 2010 8:11:02 AM

Or perhaps I could lower it down a bit and get the 650 watt PSU and a Radeon 5670 (350 watts)

ok so pretty much here are my options:

1. Corsair 750 Watt PSU + Radeon 5770 (450 watts)
2. Corsair 650 Watt PSU + Radeon 5670 (350 watts)

my new computer is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZX87HC/ref=oss_pro...
- 250 watt power supply (currently)
- 6 GB of RAM

What do you guys think? Option 1 or 2?
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 8:11:27 AM

Personally i would cancel the PC and get a better speced one in the new year.

Mactronix :) 
December 23, 2010 8:13:17 AM

mactronix said:
Personally i would cancel the PC and get a better speced one in the new year.

Amazon won't let me cancel it now lol but I guess I could always return it.

You don't think the speed is fast though? 4 gb ram! the one I am using now is only 1 gb and processor speed is 1.59 ghz lol
December 23, 2010 8:20:41 AM

The comp isnt that bad, ram is good and processer is pretty good.

Im running the 5770 on a 350W powersupply. I suggest the 5770, great for cross fireing.
December 23, 2010 8:24:50 AM

lavitz1125 said:
The comp isnt that bad, ram is good and processer is pretty good.

Im running the 5770 on a 350W powersupply. I suggest the 5770, great for cross fireing.

thanks :)  i'm also considering the 5770. also, do you think replacing the video card and PSU would be easy? or would you need to be very skilled to do so because I plan on doing this myself.
December 23, 2010 8:59:33 AM

Ok I just ordered the Corsair 750 watt PSU and a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X, these two along with my HP p6630f should arrive in about 2 days. I plan on replacing these parts myself, my question is, do I have everything I need? Like, do I need any special tools or additional parts or am I set?

Thanks a lot guys!!!
December 23, 2010 9:01:14 AM

5770 does not consume 450w of power. 450w is a recommendation for the total system with 5770. 5770s TDP is around 110w. So if you buy a good quality power supply (seasonic, corsair,antec etc.) even a 350w or 400w power supply should be enough for 5770. If you are going for a crap PSU it is recommended to buy a 450w or 500w rated PSU.
Buy the antec 430w PSU that tomate2 recommended. 750w is a huge overkill for corei3 and 5770. Replacing the PSU and video card is not that hard.
December 23, 2010 9:05:12 AM

bharath1097 said:
750w is a huge overkill for corei3 and 5770.

will that damage the computer in the long run though ?
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 9:10:20 AM

Its just a lot of messing about at your end when you could probably get something better for cheaper else where. Just 5 mins googling found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The GPU is still weak but the PSU should be up to running a 5770, You could Ebay the 5450 towards the 5770.
Of course best option is to build it yourself but not everyone wants to or can do that so the next best option is to get the best deal you can.

a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 9:42:13 AM

Android18 said:
will that damage the computer in the long run though ?

No it wont.However, you could have gotten away with the Corsair 450VX, which would have saved you a couple of bucks.
The 450 W rating does not mean that the card pulls that much power. The power drawn by all the components in the PC is delivered by the PSU.The rating simply means the maximum DC power output that the PSU can supply. Your PC will stay under 100W at idle and should not exceed 200W under full load.
December 23, 2010 11:24:08 AM

To translate all these posts android

You have lots of money
You spent lots of money
You are happy?
Congratz.

Simple upgrade really, watch some youtube videos for help
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 11:27:14 AM

HP systems use HIPRO psu's usually - there not too bad but it wont cut it still for what you want to do (5770)
December 23, 2010 3:28:10 PM

lavitz1125 said:
To translate all these posts android

You have lots of money
You spent lots of money
You are happy?
Congratz.

Simple upgrade really, watch some youtube videos for help

haha you make me sound so terrible :lol:  The computer I'm using now is about 7-8 years old and during that whole time the only upgrade I made was switching the 512 Ram to 1024 Ram (max is 2gb ram, i think).

and I must say, thank you to everybody who helped me!!!! i really appreciate it :D 
December 24, 2010 12:40:53 AM

hi guys i'm back, i didn't want to make a new thread since this question sort of relates.

I was thinking, since I will be getting the 750w psu and a 5770 video card, will the fan need to be upgraded as well? to keep up with the new parts.

thanks~
December 24, 2010 1:16:34 AM

Android18 said:

This is what I bought:

- 6 GB Ram

XFX Radeon HD 5770

Quick steps:

1) Buy the Corsair 500w (highest rated PSU company): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
These power supplies have the best performance and the best stable max output. A 500w Corsair will cover your system plus any single card. Many cards may recommend more but if you know Corsair's quality their products are beasts and don't apply to normal power standards given for video cards.

3) Buy the 5770. It's a really good choice actually, almost as good as the 5850 but like what, $100 cheaper or something; it will run any thing and everything that has been made so far, and throughout 2011, piece of cake. Just look on newegg though, and search 5770 and change to lowest price first. The HIS or Sapphire cards should be the cheapest but also are just as good as XFX. Note the HIS card has both a rebate to bring it down to $99 AND has free shipping.

December 24, 2010 1:26:20 AM

TrantaLocked said:
Quick steps:

1) Buy the Corsair 500w (highest rated PSU company): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
These power supplies have the best performance and the best stable max output. A 500w Corsair will cover your system plus any single card. Many cards may recommend more but if you know Corsair's quality their products are beasts and don't apply to normal power standards given for video cards.

3) Buy the 5770. It's a really good choice actually, almost as good as the 5850 but like what, $100 cheaper or something; it will run any thing and everything that has been made so far, and throughout 2011, piece of cake. Just look on newegg though, and search 5770 and change to lowest price first. The HIS or Sapphire cards should be the cheapest but also are just as good as XFX. Note the HIS card has both a rebate to bring it down to $99 AND has free shipping.

Thank you so much for this, it really reaffirmed my decision with confidence! Do you think i will also need a upgraded fan? to keep up.
December 24, 2010 2:40:03 AM

Android18 said:
Thank you so much for this, it really reaffirmed my decision with confidence! Do you think i will also need a upgraded fan? to keep up.

If you mean an extra fan in our tower you won't need one. The 5770 has a built in fan and back vent so it should stay cool enough by itself.

Also I noticed you were looking at the 750w in one of your posts. You won't ever need that much power because first of all, your motherboard doesn't support two graphics cards and in that situation you would need 750w, second of all the 5770 is one of the most power efficient 5XXX series cards, and third if you ever upgrade again, nothing will require more than 500w, and in fact graphics cards will only continue to require less as technology evolves.

I also have experience with my own system: a 4770 running flawlessly with a 450w corsair.

I'd say stick with the 500w, because you won't ever need any thing more, and you'll save tons of money.
December 24, 2010 4:31:23 AM

TrantaLocked said:
If you mean an extra fan in our tower you won't need one. The 5770 has a built in fan and back vent so it should stay cool enough by itself.

Also I noticed you were looking at the 750w in one of your posts. You won't ever need that much power because first of all, your motherboard doesn't support two graphics cards and in that situation you would need 750w, second of all the 5770 is one of the most power efficient 5XXX series cards, and third if you ever upgrade again, nothing will require more than 500w, and in fact graphics cards will only continue to require less as technology evolves.

I also have experience with my own system: a 4770 running flawlessly with a 450w corsair.

I'd say stick with the 500w, because you won't ever need any thing more, and you'll save tons of money.

Thank you this is very informative. Though I already made the purchase and it should arrive tomorrow, but I can always return it.

I just got 750w thinking it would be good because why not have extra power? i read somewhere that your psu will only use the amount it needs so even if you have 1k watts and your comp uses say 210, then it will only use 210. I'm just trying to be safe is all, like having extra money in the bank.

But yes, if I return it for a 500w one then I can save about $30-40 bucks.
December 24, 2010 5:54:05 AM

Alright, well unless it would really help you to save the cash, but you already bought it, so it's your choice. Having a 750w is nice because until it dies (which it won't for a long time) you could save it for your next rig and be able to crossfire or sli a couple cards. But since this is a new computer and a good one too, you probably won't upgrade in a long time and I'm not sure if by the time you switch any thing even in crossfire would still consume that much power. I'm getting to deep into this XD sorry. Your choice, again :) 
December 24, 2010 4:03:52 PM

TrantaLocked said:
Alright, well unless it would really help you to save the cash, but you already bought it, so it's your choice. Having a 750w is nice because until it dies (which it won't for a long time) you could save it for your next rig and be able to crossfire or sli a couple cards. But since this is a new computer and a good one too, you probably won't upgrade in a long time and I'm not sure if by the time you switch any thing even in crossfire would still consume that much power. I'm getting to deep into this XD sorry. Your choice, again :) 

no no i actually appreciate this conversation haha but i have a question, would my electric bill be higher just because im using a higher psu? i mean, computers will only consume as much as they need, right? so would there be a difference (electric bill wise) if i'm using a 500w or a 750w psu when in reality (example) my computer only uses about 400 watts?
December 24, 2010 5:19:31 PM

Correct, you will only be using what your computer will need. I did a quick calculation on http://www.extreme.outervision.com and you shouldn't be using more than 400w at any time (generous maximum), but normal usage should be around 300w.
December 24, 2010 8:08:46 PM

TrantaLocked said:
Correct, you will only be using what your computer will need. I did a quick calculation on http://www.extreme.outervision.com and you shouldn't be using more than 400w at any time (generous maximum), but normal usage should be around 300w.

thanks for the info, now i'll have about ~350w free, not bad haha

And here, I wanna give you an update: the stuff came and for the past hour or so i attempted to replace the stock psu with the corsair. I successfully took the old one out and put the new one in and plugged in everything that needed to be connected but I am left with all this extra cords like 'Floppy', 'pin peripheral' and 'PCI-E pin and pin compatible', what are all those for? The 250w psu in the HP didn't even have close to all this!
December 24, 2010 8:28:54 PM

Just tie rap the ones you dont use and stick them out of the way!

or maybe cut the extra cables off to make room, make sure you turn off your electric!
;) 
ignore the last comment joking with you merry xmas!
December 24, 2010 8:50:09 PM

merry christmas to you too cartman,

i have bundled them up and have declared the installation of the new psu a success!

now i'm trying to replace the graphics card but realize that the one with the computer is integrated, i think it means theres no physical card so I didn't have to replace anything. I then try to put the new one in but it doesn't fit, the card is seems to be too large for the motherboard.

I read the side of box carefully and in the system requirements it says:
PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

I'm guessing that must be it, this HP might not be a PCI Expressed based. I went to check the video card slot in the motherboard and under it says 'PCI_E1'

Are they the same?
December 24, 2010 9:05:15 PM

The slot seems to be even but it's just that the computer doesn't have enough room. It's not the wires that are in the way, but the side wall !!!

edit:

the part circled in green is touching the side wall before the slots can even be matched. I managed to remove an L shaped metal plate and 2 metal strips from the back of the computer and I thought maybe they were supposed to be removed for a video card such as this. I try to put in the video card but the part circled in yellow is still being blocked. So now I really don't know what to do.

If i could remove the part circled in black then i'm thinking that might do it, but I don't think that would be possible.
December 24, 2010 10:18:20 PM

UPDATE: Yes! i removed another metal strip; this one however with a little more force and the fit was perfect! In a moment now I will shut off this computer and and start using the new one!

But before i do that can someone tell me how to disable the Intel® HD Graphics? I don't want it to be conflicting with the new video card. Thanks!!!
December 25, 2010 3:00:52 AM

update 2: I don't know why but the new PSU isn't working. When I turn the computer on the light on the desktop turns on and I can hear the fan working but nothing happens on the screen. I figured something must be wrong so I open the desktop up and replace it back to the original PSU and now it works. -.-

I'm sure I plugged in the right cords because that's how I was able put the old PSU back in. Could there be something wrong with the corsair psu????
December 25, 2010 3:09:44 AM

You need to start up without your new 5770 plugged in, go into your devices and disable your onboard graphics by right clicking it, properties, and find the disable button. Then you can turn off your computer, put in the 5770 and your computer will run on It's native safe mode driver. Now download the newest driver online and install that, and you should be able to get the right resolution.

Where you saying you put back the original PSU back in with the 5770 in the computer, and it WORKED? Or was that without the 5770.

The Corsair power supply should be working, but with either PSU if the onboard graphics isn't disabled you won't see a picture.

If you tried the Corsair without the 5770 and It's not working, it must be either you didn't connect it well enough or the PSU is broken. There should be absolutely no software or BIOS problem, especially with how new that computer is. And in the case of it being broken after troubleshooting, you could either RMA it or try a different power supply. It's really unlikely a Corsair would be faulty though.
December 25, 2010 6:05:37 AM

TrantaLocked said:
You need to start up without your new 5770 plugged in, go into your devices and disable your onboard graphics by right clicking it, properties, and find the disable button. Then you can turn off your computer, put in the 5770 and your computer will run on It's native safe mode driver. Now download the newest driver online and install that, and you should be able to get the right resolution.

Where you saying you put back the original PSU back in with the 5770 in the computer, and it WORKED? Or was that without the 5770.

The Corsair power supply should be working, but with either PSU if the onboard graphics isn't disabled you won't see a picture.

If you tried the Corsair without the 5770 and It's not working, it must be either you didn't connect it well enough or the PSU is broken. There should be absolutely no software or BIOS problem, especially with how new that computer is. And in the case of it being broken after troubleshooting, you could either RMA it or try a different power supply. It's really unlikely a Corsair would be faulty though.

thank you so much for your thorough responses like always! well let's see, before even using the new computer I replaced the PSU and also putting in the 5770. After thinking something was wronng I swtiched back to the original PSU, but still leaving the 5770 in there and the computer worked with no problem.

I thought maybe I should try again so I put the Corsair back in, again, still leaving the 5770 in there and windows doens't start. So i doubt it has anything to do with the 5770. But i don't understand why the Corsair isn't working! The desktop light turns on and I can hear the fans working just fine -.-

Right now i am using the new desktop with the original psu inside. The 5770 is also inside.
December 25, 2010 6:48:23 AM

Android18 said:
thank you so much for your thorough responses like always! well let's see, before even using the new computer I replaced the PSU and also putting in the 5770. After thinking something was wronng I swtiched back to the original PSU, but still leaving the 5770 in there and the computer worked with no problem.

I thought maybe I should try again so I put the Corsair back in, again, still leaving the 5770 in there and windows doens't start. So i doubt it has anything to do with the 5770. But i don't understand why the Corsair isn't working! The desktop light turns on and I can hear the fans working just fine -.-

Right now i am using the new desktop with the original psu inside. The 5770 is also inside.

Wow it's crazy the 250w can handle that! I'm not sure it would be good to put your card under load with it though.

From here I can't really help much. Since is an issue with the power supply and now should contact Corsair and ask for possible reasons, and if they can't figure it out you could RMA it but I think It's the model power supply that just doesn't work with your motherboard. It makes no sense and I hope Corsair can help solve this.

I have no idea what these guys are talking about but this might help: http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?p=468733

You should search around for similar topics that might solve this.
December 25, 2010 7:13:40 AM

TrantaLocked said:
Wow it's crazy the 250w can handle that! I'm not sure it would be good to put your card under load with it though.

From here I can't really help much. Since is an issue with the power supply and now should contact Corsair and ask for possible reasons, and if they can't figure it out you could RMA it but I think It's the model power supply that just doesn't work with your motherboard. It makes no sense and I hope Corsair can help solve this.

I have no idea what these guys are talking about but this might help: http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?p=468733

You should search around for similar topics that might solve this.

Hey, ok i just made a big realization that probably changes everything. When I replaced the PSU and put in the 5770 I connected one of the cords from the PSU to the 5770 (Windows didn't start). When I switched PSU back to the original I just left the 5770 in the slot without it being connected to the PSU! (Windows start)

Moments ago, I was thinking maybe I should connect the stock PSU to the 5770 so that's what I did and what do you know? Windows won't start! I then unplug the 5770 from the PSU but still leaving it in the slot and it works.

Now I switch back to the Corsair but this time I do not connect anything to the 5770, but still leaving it the slot and Windows worked! So now I'm positive that the problem must be coming from the 5770 video card.

I thought maybe I should 1st disable the intergrated Intel HD Graphics so that's what I did. I then turn off the computer and connect the Corsair to the 5770 hoping it will finnally work- but nope, doesn't work. I even took the 5770 out and enabled Intel HD Graphics thinking maybe it didn't work because the 5770 was still in the slot so after I disable Intel HD Graphics again and I put the 5770 back in, connect it to the Corsair and...... still doesn't work.
December 25, 2010 7:37:53 AM

Wow that is strange, because usually a graphics card doesn't work BECAUSE the 6-pin isn't connected, but in your case some how it is WORKING without it and preventing with it? I guess when a 6-pin is plugged in the card malfunctions. Did you order the XFX or HIS? Whoever you ordered from definitely talk to them about this.
December 25, 2010 5:18:38 PM

TrantaLocked said:
Wow that is strange, because usually a graphics card doesn't work BECAUSE the 6-pin isn't connected, but in your case some how it is WORKING without it and preventing with it? I guess when a 6-pin is plugged in the card malfunctions. Did you order the XFX or HIS? Whoever you ordered from definitely talk to them about this.

Ah no actually the graphics card (Sapphire Vapor-X 5770) isn't working. Whenever it is connected to the PSU (Corsair or the stock one) Windows will not load, however, when I pull the plug off Windows works fine.

The Corsair comes with a 6-pin connecter so you could connect it to your video card directly, and the 5770 also comes with a 6-pin cable where one end connects to a PSU peripheral, which I assume is for people whose PSU does not come with a 6-pin.

Either way, I tried both but still didn't work.
December 26, 2010 12:37:38 AM

It's a CBU system, isn't it. I'm afraid u can't upgrade except the RAM.
December 26, 2010 12:48:37 AM

I got it to work. What I was doing wrong was plugging the VGA to the desktop; because that's where it was connected to on the old desktop but then I realize that you are suppose to plug the VGA to the video card! Yup, everything is working perfectly- except the broken CD-ROM drive -.-
!