Sign in with
Your question

Judder Problem with 23fps clips

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2010 9:15:28 AM

When I am connecting my 120Hz LCD TV to my Laptop(via VGA port) I can see a lot of Judder during scenes with panning for a MP4 video clips(1920 x 1080) with frame rates 23fps.

Now the same video clip if I play directly in my TV (Yes it has a USB port to play directly from flash drives) then I don't see any judder. I checked my TV setting and it has "120Hz Smoothing effect" turned on. And yes, if I turn it off I see judder effect even when playing directly in the TV.

After the above observations I tried to turn on "120Hz Smoothing effect" on my TV while connecting it back to Laptop's VGA port. But it won't allow me to do so as the option itself is disabled when connecting to my PC through VGA port.

My laptop has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series. And the processor is Intel Core 2 Duo P9500@ 2.53Ghz. RAM = 4GB
My TV is Samsung LN40C630

1. Now I am trying to build a HTPC from scratch and I am worried do we really have a good Graphics Card(GPU) which can work at 120Hz?
2. OR we really don't need 120Hz GPU to reduce judder?
3. What are the other ways to reduce judder?
4. Anything to do with HDMI? Will a card with HDMI port reduce the judder?
5. Any recommendation for Graphic cards for full 1080p movie viewing @ 120Hz

Sorry if my questions are stupid ... I am kind of new to these things.

Regards,
Jyotirmay
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 9:55:46 AM

120hz does't have anything to do with the juttering and nothing to do with the graphics card that is the monitor/tv itself so don't worrk about that.

A card with HDMI i don't think would change it, infact it is better to use a DVI or VGA cable.

The card you have should be able to play 1080p video, it is rated to playback 1080p.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 11:29:42 AM

update your video drivers and codecs

google klite codec pack, and if your using 64-bit (i hope you are) download the 64-bit version too and install it, and i suggest media player classic (with the klite full pack)
January 3, 2011 7:56:20 PM

I tried the klite codec pack and tried media player classic also.
I am still wondering what is the source of this jutter/judder ?? :( 

Also repeating my original questions for which I am still looking for the answers :

==============================
My laptop has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series. And the processor is Intel Core 2 Duo P9500@ 2.53Ghz. RAM = 4GB
My TV is Samsung LN40C630

1. Now I am trying to build a HTPC from scratch and I am worried do we really have a good Graphics Card(GPU) which can work at 120Hz?
2. OR we really don't need 120Hz GPU to reduce judder?
3. What are the other ways to reduce judder?
4. Anything to do with HDMI? Will a card with HDMI port reduce the judder?
5. Any recommendation for Graphic cards for full 1080p movie viewing @ 120Hz
===============================
!