EVGA claims to boost SLI/Crossfire with new toy.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
This cheap EVGA gimmick claims to enhance overclockabilty of SLI/Crossfire setups.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00600/

Where are the benchmarks??

Might have some merit, if a pair of video cards were drawing a bit too healthy of a load....; essentially, a parallel supply input straight from PSU instead of thru mainboard circuitry....

I'd personallly be leery of pushing SLI or Crossfire rigs too far when dealing with between $300-$1100 worth of video cards....

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
If the benchmarks are improved I'm a believer. Until then I remain very skeptical.

Also, I'm not a fan of the idea of injecting power in a manner not initally intended. I wonder if this violates ATX standards?

Also it blocks what ever PCI-e slot you place it in so you'd need a board with an empty PCI-e slot (which kind of defeats the purpose of adding the extra power since now you have one fewer slots that needs power !!) and really if your using a high quality MOBO to begin with there should already be good enough traces on the MOBO to provide a steady power source to the PCI-e bus without the need for such a device - it might provide some stability for cheaply made MOBOs but you'd still be better off investing in a quality board to start with !