Asus P8Z68-V - VGA LED Stays lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paroxsitic

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I have an Asus P8Z68-V Motherboard and it's been working fine for a week, 3 days ago I hooked up a 1TB USB External HDD to it and I noticed 20% of the time windows would freeze during loadup screen and the External HDD light would turn off. If I turned off the power strip which contained the HDD then it would startup no issues.

I went into the BIOS (or UEFI w/e) and noticed the external HDD as a boot device, infact it was the first one besides some cryptic ATA device (which I assumed was my SATA internal HDD. I disabled all boot options but the drive I suspected to be my DATA internal HDD. I turned off the UEFI logo and noticed an option to set how long the BIOs screen stayed on so I set it to only be 1 seconds from its 5 seconds.

Saved and reset and my monitor wasn't turning on. Reboot again and same thing. I took a look inside the case and noticed the CPU LED and DRAM LED would flash, indicating everything went OK but the VGA LED would stay lit. I removed the video card and put everything to onboard GPU. Tried again. Same thing.

This time I took the CMOS battery out for 20 minutes assuming I messed up a BIOS setting. Tried it, same thing. I also did the CLRAM jumper in combo with CMOS battery, same thing.

I took out the extra DIMM and left 1 DIMM in the A2 slot, as suggested by motherboard manual when only 1 DIMM. Tried it, same thing.

Everything seems to power on, I can heard the DVD drive, hard drive spin up. When the Geforce GFX was in the fan spun. I have the Cosair H60 liquid cooling setup so no CPU fan to detect spinning but the H60's fan spins. Everything seems to work fine but yet I get VGA LED on. I have tried my HDTV with the DVI using iGPU and also a 17 inch LCD using VGA.

I have a 700W PSU, so I dont think that's an issue. I am not comfortable reseating CPU as someone else installed the H60. Plus it works fine before so I doubt it's an issue.

I thought maybe if I pulled the CMOS battery for 2 hours perhaps it would work better, but still the red VGA LED.

Is it possible I messed up UEFI? I disabled the UEFI boot devices (as it said my USB external HDD was one) in the boot order and such but should the CMOS reset fix those issues?

It wont POST at all. I also took away all ram DIMMs to see if I could get Beep codes and non came up, however I dont think the speaker is installed.

mpower81

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

I am having the same issue. Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same. I installed Win 7 w/ an upgd disk, purchased a license and created a boot USB drive, reset, and not the light stays on after is was running fine. No VGA output from my GPU or the build in GPU via my 2600k.

Open a new question thread on your problem, that is the best way to get helped : )

Not 2 problems are the same and if u will post more questions here, it will start to be confusing for everybody : )

paroxsitic

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

I dont have a mini HDMI to HDMI but I did connect to onboard DVI, still the same.

I talked to Asus, they said it might be the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.