Built new computer but no display signal

JzX

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I recently built a new computer from scratch and the first problem I bumped into was a defective PSU. Got it replaced and now power runs through the computer. Unfortunately I now have another problem, when I turn on the PC I get no display signal on both my TV (Mini-HDMI to HDMI) nor my monitor (VGA to DVI).
I'm using the onboard audio but I don't get a beep when I power the computer.
I tried my old video card (9800 GT) to rule out a defective GPU but same problem, no display signal
All 4 fans on my case are running, stable green LED on motherboard, GPU fan also running.

Specs:

ASUS Sabertooth x58
Intel Core i7 950
EVGA Geforce 560 GTX Ti
G.SKill DDR3 1600Mhz 2x3GB RAM
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower

Thanks in advance!

JzX

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply, I will run through the checklist and see if it solves the problem
No I couldn't get any display signal to even try and install the OS and I don't get a beep when the PC is powered so im questioning whether it boots or not.

JzX

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Problem Solved.
For those having a similar problem, here's what I did

After many attempts to figuring out the real issue I decided to re-mount the motherboard, as I figured it might of been touching the case and risking of short circuiting. During that process I realized that my RAM were in the 4,5,6 slots, so I immediately but carefully placed them in their correct (1-3) slots. The RAM could of been the problem but even after fixing it, the computer still wouldn't boot.

I then carefully read the manual again about mounting the motherboard and realized that I screwed it in wrong.
For those who have my tower (HAF 932), you sandwich the motherboard with the two part screws. (I'm an idiot and combined the screws into one and continued to screw in the motherboard, which explains why I could only easily fit in 4/9 screws.

The next problem was my SATA cables were incorrectly plugged in, plugged my hard drive and optical drive's 6.0gb/s SATA cables into the 3.0 gb/s slots. Though I doubt this was too much of a problem

After going back and finding these 3 issues, my computer has booted and in the process of installing my OS. I think the likely culprit was the mounting of my motherboard as it could of been easily touching my case and causing problems

Congratulations on solving your problem.

That beep comes from a small system speaker or piezoelectric plugged into (or built into) the motherboard. They used to always come with the case. They only cost $2 or $3 and they are the primary troubleshooting aid when things go wrong. So they are worth including when you build a computer.