Gaming motherboard Prediciment

brandesimo

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I'm trying to make my first Budget gaming pc. My budget is £550.
the things ive picked out so far are:
GPU:MSI twin frozr 650 ti
CPU:phenom x4 955 BE
ram: 4 or 8 GB depedning on how much i have left.

The way I see it is I can spend maximum of £80 on a gaming motherboard. I may run sli down the road or would it be better for me to just upgrade my gpu instead? Any help on the matter would be lovely>.^

brandesimo

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for answering, But I disagree. All sites I have checked for gaming pc's have worse specs than what is in my build for a higher price. Even ebay's used computers cost more than my build with worse specs.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I wouldn't listen to him. He's a smart spam bot.

My advice is not to skimp on the PSU and to avoid SLi. It's a premium only if you want to get crazy performance, but ultimately will be bottlenecked by the Phenom II. I would ensure you buy a 990FX motherboard to ensure you can upgrade to the next generation of AMD CPUs, because although the current crop of them are abysmal, it will hurt resale if you don't and there is hardly a premium on them.

I wish you best of luck, while I investigate this spam issue. :)

brandesimo

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Haha silly Spam bot>.^
Thanks for the advice. By next generation Cpu's are you refering to the bulldozer range? I've heard bad things about those. if not then Ill probably get an 990fx like you said. any one in particular?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Next-gen Bulldozer may work in 990FX motherboards. Or so they say.

I'm just thinking it might hurt resell value later on if you want to resell the motherboard. I doubt NG-Bulldozer will be good, but who knows?

If it doesn't cost much more I would go with 990FX.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

brandesimo

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Ok the first board seems to be great. I doupt i'll be reselling anytime in the near future but yeah This still seems like a great choice

TRENDING THREADS